As of: December 2017
Valuation of Mexico's Protected Areas Climate and Ecosystem Services: a Tool for Innovative Climate Change and Biodiversity Financing
Objective and activities
This project aims at supporting National Commission of Natural Protected Areas (CONANP), and its strategic partners, to assess and integrate the value of ecosystem services into decision-making processes to effectively manage and finance protected areas. To achieve this, the project will communicate the values of ecosystem services to diverse stakeholders; design and implement innovative economic instruments, and strengthen CONANP's capacities for valuing ecosystem services. Working on this basis, the project promotes the integration of those values into public policies.
State of implementation/results
- A catalogue of criteria for identifying protected areas suitable to be pilot areas for the project was agreed with the partner organisation CONANP.
- Preliminary work to gain an overview of current knowledge on assessing ecosystem services was carried out.
- Potential cooperation partners and relevant discussion forums were identified in collaboration with the project partner CONANP with the aim of activating and promoting communities of practice, dialogue forums and strategic alliances.
- Work began on creating a comprehensive overview of all relevant existing initiatives and funding instruments.
- The project was presented at various events, strengthening its network connections. They included the annual meeting of directors of Mexico’s national parks, the 6th Ecosystem Partnership Conference and a Latin American communication forum on assessing ecosystem services. Project partners were enabled to participate in a Latin American communication forum on assessing ecosystem services.