Accelerating Climate Finance Impact to Support the Momentum of Paris
As of: July 2020
Objective and activities
The project aims to establish a multi-year platform that measures flows across the climate finance landscape, and conducts in-depth analysis on the role and effectiveness of public and private actors, providing information in an easily accessible manner. The goal is to ensure policymakers and decision-makers, in donor governments, the development finance community and recipient countries, have the knowledge and tools to understand their specific niches in scaling climate finance, identify opportunities to align flows and instruments for maximum impact and scale, and to take advantage of new sources of finance to achieve their climate finance commitments. It will also serve as a platform to connect the dots by mapping main actors’ financing activities to ultimately understand how public finance can best be targeted to make the Paris Agreement an enduring success.
State of implementation/results
- Global Climate Finance: an update view 2018 has been published providing an update on 2015 and 2016 climate finance flows and referenced in the UNFCCC 2018 Biennial Assessment and Overview of Climate Finance Flows (climatepolicyinitiative.org/…).
- At the website there is an interactive summary (www.climatefinancelandscape.org) and a webinar discussing the results (climatepolicyinitiative.org/…)
- Publication of the Global Landscape of Climate Finance 2019 is planned for early November, in advance of COP25. Publication of two additional analytical briefs on tracking methods are also planned for November. One will focus on adaptation tracking and the other on measuring progress on climate finance in the financial system.
- CPI will present key findings from the GLCF 2019 at the GCF Private Sector conference in early October, at the OECD Research Collaborative meeting in late October, at the Ethical Finance Conference 2019 conference and at various events at COP25 in Santiago, Chile.
- CPI has established a Climate-aligned Finance Tracking Group, a network of experts that aims to achieve greater impact and scale in climate finance by improving and aligning tracking efforts. Further information and details of the Steering Committe members can be found here: climatepolicyinitiative.org/…