Addressing REDD+ through Landscape-Scale Sustainable Commodity Production Models
As of: June 2021
Forest ecosystems are often endangered by competing types of land use. The project aims to work with participating partners to develop and roll out the ‘LandScale’ (LS) framework. This, in turn, will mobilise private-sector investment in low-emission agricultural production that avoids deforestation, whose implementation will be assessed against a set of sustainability criteria. This approach can also underpin and supplement public funding and state-led REDD+ strategies. The LS framework will focus on a small number of key assessment criteria for which there is specific demand as well as potential funding. Such assessment criteria may include greenhouse gas emissions, deforestation, biodiversity, water availability, adaptation, quality of life and productivity. Partner countries will deploy the LS framework to designated model production landscapes in order to assess their social and ecological impact. The LS framework will have a global scope.
State of implementation/results
- On 5.11.2020, LandScale hosted a virtual workshop at the Innovation Forum event “Sustainable Landscapes and Commodities Forum”. The workshop session's name was "The business case for investing at landscape scale: How to create incentives and rewards for improvements in landscape sustainability performance".
- On 28.10.2020, Innovation Forum released an opinion article on LandScale “Can sustainability challenges be solved at the landscape scale?” (www.innovationforum.co.uk/…)
- Version 0.2 of LandScale’s Assessment Framework and Guidelines were published on 27.10.2020 and opened for public consultation until 15.12.2020.
- On 15.10.2020, the Panorama website featured the application of LandScale with the Agua Tica water fund. (panorama.solutions/…)
- Open call for Innovator Pilots and online seminars on 07.03.2020 and 23.04.2020. The groups participating as Innovator Pilots were selected in the third quarter of 2020 and started piloting Version 0.2 of the LandScale Assessment Framework and Guidelines during the last quarter of 2020.
- On 04.06.2020, LandScale hosted a virtual session at the Global Landscapes Forum. The purpose was to get input from thought-leaders in the landscape sustainability space.
- The LandScale Assessment Framework and Guidelines were published for a first public consultation in 08.2019.
- Presentation of LandScale at the Global Landscapes Forum in Bonn, Germany, on 23.06.2019, as part of the session “No one left behind: landscape governance in Latin America and the Caribbean”.
- Presentation of LandScale during the Tropical Forest Alliance's Annual Members meeting in Bogota, Colombia between 04. and 08.05.2019. The title of this event was “A Forest Positive Future: Accelerating the Decade of Delivery” and it was co-hosted by the government of Colombia.
- The project arranged an online seminar on 07.03.2019 for companies, investors and other stakeholders with an interest in learning more about LandScale. The purpose of the online seminar was to raise awareness about this initiative amongst potential users and to provide an opportunity for people to ask questions.