Addressing REDD+ through Landscape-Scale Sustainable Commodity Production Models
As of: November 2020
In collaboration with partners in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Ghana and Peru, VCS proposes to develop and implement the Landscape Standard (LS) to assess results and mobilize private-sector investment in low-carbon, zero-deforestation commodity production, and complement public funding and government-led REDD+ strategies. LS will focus on a small number of high-value metrics (eg, GHG emissions, deforestation, biodiversity, water availability, adaptation, livelihoods and productivity) for which there is concrete demand and finance. Country partners will apply LS in model production landscapes (ie, large areas defined by administrative or productive characteristics) to monitor and assess the broad social and environmental outcomes of sustainable production efforts. Government, producer and civil society actors will come together to drive sustainability performance across these landscapes, which will be linked through LS to transformational incentives and finance.
State of implementation/results
- The LandScale Assessment Framework and Guidelines will be published for a second public consultation on 27.10.2020.
- Open call for Innovator Pilots and online seminars on 07.03.2020 and 23.04.2020. The groups participating as Innovator Pilots were selected in the third quarter of 2020 and will start piloting Version 2.0 of the LandScale Assessment Framework and Guidelines during the last Quarter of 2020.
- On 04.06.2020 LandScale hosted a virtual session at the Global Landscapes Forum. The purpose was to get input from thought-leaders in the landscape sustainability space.
- The LandScale Assessment Framework and Guidelines were published for a first public consultation in 08.2019
- Presentation of LandScale at the Global Landscapes Forum in Bonn, Germany on 23.06.2019 as part of the session “No one left behind: landscape governance in Latin America and the Caribbean”
- Presentation of LandScale during the Tropical Forest Alliance's Annual Members meeting in Bogota, Colombia between 04. and 08.05.2019. The title of this event was ‘A Forest Positive Future: Accelerating the Decade of Delivery’ and it was co-hosted by the government of Colombia.
- The project arranged an online seminar on 07.03.2019 for companies, investors and other stakeholders with an interest in learning more about LandScale. The purpose of the online seminar was to raise awareness about this initiative amongst potential users and to provide an opportunity for people to ask questions.