Ambitious City Promises: Commitments for low-carbon urban development in Southeast Asian large cities
As of: July 2020
Objective and activities
The project aims to support selected large cities in Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam to establish strong local climate action plans through concrete targets, enhanced multi-stakeholder engagement and integrated strategies. The project is being implemented in close cooperation with Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG), which in 2015 has published the “Promise of Seoul”, an unprecedented mitigation plan. “City Promises” (city’s low emission development strategies) will be developed in the project cities that include Jakarta (IDN), Pasig City (PHL), and Hanoi (VNM) and their implementation will be outlined and initiated. Throughout the project period, each local government will design locally appropriate targets and action plans on the basis of their condition framework and priorities. The respective national government will also benefit from the project as it will enhance the implementation of their "Nationally Determined Contribution" (NDCs) through collective actions taken by cities.
State of implementation/results
- Selection of the models cities where the ‚City Promises‘ will be implemented: Jakarta, Hanoi and Pasig City. The satellite cities which will benefit from the resources and capacity building opportunities are Tangerang, Bekasi, Soc Son, Son Tay, Parañaque, and Marikina.
- Official launch of the project at the Seoul Mayors Forum on Climate Change in October 2017.
- A series of expert & national Meetings were conducted in Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam, where experts from the Seoul Metropolitan Government (SMG) shared the examples of the implementation of the ‘Promise of Seoul’ and looked at more specific focus areas with due consideration to the priority urban sectors identified by project cities. Air quality was an important sector in Hanoi. Energy Efficiency and Conservation were strong anchors during discussions in Jakarta and Pasig City.-- A Cities & Regions Talanoa Dialogue was conducted in 2018 in each project country and organized by the project to ensure multi-level dialogues among different levels of governments and align the project activities with the national priorities. The project cities are continuously engaged in the follow-up dialogues with their respective national governments.
- As of September 2019, there are seven public consultations conducted in Pasig City and DKI Jakarta and two in Hanoi. The consultations aimed to share the local climate action plan of the cities with their relevant stakeholders and discuss how the stakeholders could contribute to achieving the city-wide climate goal. In addition, two CiBiX (ICLEI’s City-Business Collaboration Accelerator) workshops to facilitate the dialogue between the local government and the business sector were conducted in Pasig City and DKI Jakarta. For Hanoi, a CiBiX workshop is planned for November 2019. The events convened about 700 stakeholders in total-- The social media campaigns for the three model cities were launched via Facebook and Twitter. The campaign provided short information about the project, climate change, low emission development, and a call for action. As of September 2019, the campaign’s total reach for ICLEI-managed channels is approximately 131,000 individuals across the three project countries.
- The project cities will be presenting the preliminary achievements of setting ambitious climate action plans at Seoul Mayors Forum on Climate Change 2019, which will be held from 24-25 October 2019 in Seoul, Republic of Korea, in conjunction with 2019 International Renewable Energy Conference.