Applying seasonal climate forecasting and innovative insurance solutions to climate risk management in the agriculture sector in Southeast Asia
As of: June 2021
Countries in South East Asia are increasingly exposed to extreme weather events. The project therefore develops robust climate risk management systems and insurance products to protect coffee, sugar, rice, cassava and pasture farming from the physical and financial consequences of climate change, thereby supporting smallholders and enterprises along the value chain. It also supports the responsible ministries in developing knowledge-based adaptation and risk management strategies. Stakeholder workshops and socio-economic surveys help to identify the greatest risks posed by climate change and to identify key factors and any barriers to adaptation measures. Adaptation measures are also supported by seasonal climate forecasts. The risk management systems of the partner countries will be improved by using e.g. index-based insurance products and climate-intelligent, risk management tools and models.
State of implementation/results
- The key insurance-risk management transfer project team members have participated and contributed towards a workshop session on ‘What role financial instruments can and cannot play in Disaster Risk Management’ in the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction (2019). The Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction is a biennial multi-stakeholder forum established by the UN General Assembly to review progress, share knowledge and discuss the latest developments and trends in reducing disaster risk.
- Advanced Climate Modelling Training – DeRISK and SAMIS (www.fao.org/…).
- Blog article on the 1st Climate Risk Workshop conducted in Battambang Province, Cambodia. (kasekamkampuchea.blogspot.com/…).
- 2nd Climate Risk Workshop conducted in Preah Vihear Province in Cambodia. Posted on IIRR Cambodia Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/…;set=pcb.528587914569597&type=3&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARDy-ZxuS4KcMfIttafvC9sRsj8D7t7uhRulmbd8xuwE5YoKNaJYjbEM8kHUSwCEE_T8RLsUWen4I1FI).
- The project has produced draft reports and submitted journal articles Reports.
- Draft reports:
- "Climate change and climate trends in Vietnam, Lao PDR, Cambodia, and Myanmar,"
- "Agricultural and Parametric Insurance Diagnostic: Literature review. Conducted by Willis Towers Watson."
- Journal articles:
- "Byrareddy, Kouadio, Mushtaq, Stone (2019): "Sustainable production of Robusta coffee under a changing climate: A 10-year monitoring of fertiliser management in coffee farms in Vietnam and Indonesia." (Journal of Agricultural Sustainability),
- Pham, Reardon-Smith, Mushtaq, Cockfield (2019): "The impact of climate change and variability on coffee production: A systematic review." (Climatic Change),
- Mushtaq, Kath, Maraseni, Henry, and Imbach: "A framework for synergising climate change mitigation and adaptation using agricultural insurance: Implications for land use policy." (Land Use Policy Journal)