Blue Solutions - Implementing the CBD Strategic Plan in the field of marine and coastal biodiversity
As of: May 2021
World oceans, coastal regions and their ecosystem services are endangered by over-exploitation, pollution, degradation and the impacts of climate change. The project supports the further development of the PANORAMA online knowledge platform and makes strategic contributions to UN policy processes such as the Post-2020 Framework on Biodiversity and the SDGs. As part of the PANORAMA platform, Blue Solutions specifically promotes the exchange of information on the sustainable use of marine biodiversity, with the aim of developing knowledge and resources in the partner countries and cooperating with networks such as Regional Seas. Blue Solution documents the results of the exchange and shares proven approaches. It also advises on the subsequent integration and implementation of the developed approaches into national and regional strategies as well as planning processes. The project thus supports its partner countries in implementing the main fields of action of the CBD, the Ocean and Climate Nexus and SDG 14.
State of implementation/results
The Blue Solutions Initiative to be implemented by the same organisations has the objective that national and regional partner institutions enhance their capacities to better contribute to the implementation of the CBD Strategic Plan targets and the post-2020 global biodiversity framework on the conservation, sustainable use and restoration of marine and coastal biodiversity as well as achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal 14 and other ocean-related international goals and targets. In order to achieve that in the next phase the project will focus on:
- The implementation of ecosystem-based spatial planning and management to enable sustainable blue economy policy-making, based on the adaptation and re-application of proven solutions and capacity development in partner countries and through Regional Seas and other relevant partner institutions and networks.
- Blue Solutions and the Government of Costa Rica have established a cooperation alliance (MoU). The aim is to review and establish a methodology for the development of Marine Spatial Planning (MSP) processes and developing knowledge exchange to promote a sustainable blue recovery from the current health and economic crisis while conserving Costa Rica’s ocean and coasts.
- The consolidation of the Blue Solutions Knowledge Sharing Platform (PANORAMA initiative) as a hub to share and find successful examples, and leveraging the wider PANORAMA partnership to achieve specific project deliverables; and
- Strategic contributions to the implementation of the Strategic Plan 2011-2020 of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and the development of the post-2020 global biodiversity framework in the field of marine and coastal biodiversity, as well as to ocean-related Sustainable Development Goals, first of all SDG 14, and ocean-related climate change aspects under the UNFCCC.
- The Solutions documented on the PANORAMA platform, the existing training kits, as well as relevant guides, tools and methodologies developed by Blue Solutions so far, will serve as a basis for the practice-oriented implementation approach of this project phase.