Blue Solutions - Implementing the CBD Strategic Plan in the field of marine and coastal biodiversity
As of: November 2021
World oceans, coastal regions and their ecosystem services are endangered by over-exploitation, pollution, degradation and the impacts of climate change. The project supports the further development of the PANORAMA online knowledge platform and makes strategic contributions to UN policy processes such as the Post-2020 Framework on Biodiversity and the SDGs. As part of the PANORAMA platform, Blue Solutions specifically promotes the exchange of information on the sustainable use of marine biodiversity, with the aim of developing knowledge and resources in the partner countries and cooperating with networks such as Regional Seas. Blue Solution documents the results of the exchange and shares proven approaches. It also advises on the subsequent integration and implementation of the developed approaches into national and regional strategies as well as planning processes. The project thus supports its partner countries in implementing the main fields of action of the CBD, the Ocean and Climate Nexus and SDG 14.
State of implementation/results
- End of 2019, BMU invested two million euros into an UNDP trust fund in order to support and strengthen the PANORAMA initiative. The funding will significantly support the PANORAMA secretariat, which is currently hosted by GIZ and IUCN, for the coming four years. In order to guarantee GIZ´s part of the secretariat, Blue Solutions received co-financing from UNDP.
- A new training course on Blue Leadership was developed and tested with government officials in Namibia (news.bluesolutions.info/…).
- The Blue Planning in Practice Training was entirely digitalized and applied in coordination with the COBSEA Secretariat for seven of nine partner countries (news.bluesolutions.info/…).
- The Blue Solutions website, hosted by GRID–Arendal, was renewed (bluesolutions.info).
- Blue solutions are continually documented and shared on the marine and coastal portal of the PANORAMA – Solutions for a healthy planet platform, developed and hosted by Blue Solutions (panorama.solutions/…).
- Blue Solutions remained active on Vimeo (vimeo.com/…) and Twitter (@_bluesolutions).
- A new Instagram Channel was set up to start documenting the application and uptake stories of Blue Solutions.