BUILD ME – boosting ambitions to achieve a climate-neutral building standard in the MENA region
As of: January 2022
The building sector in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region has great potential for reducing greenhouse gas emissions by means of energy-efficient and climate-friendly construction. The project consequently supports pilot projects and policy dialogues that foster the partner countries’ ambitions to achieve climate-neutral building standards. The main focus is on the introduction of an energy classification system for buildings, aimed at facilitating access to finance for buildings that meet sustainability criteria. Technical support is given to actual building projects, which are also financially funded by the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). Advice on building regulations and on the incorporation of building energy efficiency into the national climate protection contributions (NDCs), as well as the development of national strategies for the building sector strengthen political cooperation with stakeholders.
State of implementation/results
- The first project phase from 2016 to 2018 has been finalized. During this phase, an extensive analysis and research on the building sector in the MENA region have been conduct. Barriers toward a low-carbon building sector have been identified. Outputs and recommendations are available on the project website.
- The second project phase has started and focus on Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt, with following achievement:
- Publication of a building typology database, as well as a demonstration project database. Best practice examples from the project countries are regularly uploaded to the database www.buildings-mena.com/… The "Building typology database" contains information on typical construction practices in new and existing buildings in the MENA region, technical building systems and energy requirements. A total of 76 projects are currently in the database, including the reference buildings of all three BUILD_ME countries www.buildings-mena.com/…
- Publication of a building energy performance tool for selected users on the website. Its aim is to help measuring energy demand, potential energy savings and cost-effectiveness of energy efficiency measures. The Building Energy Performance (BEP) tool is available on the BUILD_ME website globco.buildings-mena.com/… In addition, a video supporting the tool was published on the IKI website, the Guidehouse YouTube Channel and also on the BUILD_ME website.
- Selection of new pilot projects for the phase II: six pilot projects in Egypt, six pilot projects in Lebanon and three pilot projects in Jordan have been selected. BUILD_ME aims to support the uptake of energy efficiency and renewable energy measures in ongoing building projects with technical assistance to project developers. The technical support of the pilot projects is almost completed and has been summarised in a presentation report, which will be published soon.
- The Guidehouse team has developed a comprehensive training compendium with two modules: 1) the basics of climate-friendly buildings and 2) the BEP tool. Through workshops by the national partners, the modules were introduced to the stakeholders in the implementing countries.
- In Egypt, a new partnership has been established with the Green for Growth Fund.
- Further information and news can be found in the project's current newsletter. To register, please contact the BUILD_ME project team (BUILD_ME@guidehouse.com).