Climate friendly economy: Introduction of best available techniques (BAT)
As of: September 2021
The use of modern and efficient technologies all over the world is crucial if we want to achieve the necessary emission reductions. The project supports the Russian Ministry of the Environment in the introduction and dissemination of efficient and climate-friendly technologies in selected industrial sectors and regions of Russia. One key to potential success here is the “Best Available Techniques” (BAT) concept. The BAT concept stipulates that new and existing industrial plants must be operated on the basis of the standards defined as the best avaiblable technology in the relevant BAT reference documents. During the introduction of BAT, the project also provides advisory services to help the country and relevant institutions to achieve these aims. The project focuses on providing advice on legal and institutional frameworks, on training, the transfer of knowledge and the preparation and monitoring of pilot projects.
State of implementation/results
- 08.12.2020 Participation in the online conference "Trends and prospects for the development of water supply and water treatment in Russia: opportunities for German-Russian cooperation" with presentation of project activities on issues of industrial wastewater and sludge treatment.
- Participation in the German-Russian round table on industrial wastewater in close cooperation with the Russian Water Association (RAWW) in the framework of the All-Russian Water Congress on 01.10.2020.
- Published article "Industrial wastewater: the timeliness of industry-specific requirements", professional journal "Best Available Techniques", issue 1, 2021 (in Russian only).
- Published article "Wastewater treatment: European methods and Russian practices", professional journal "Ecology of production", issue 12, 2020 (in Russian only).
- Published regulation on requirements for discharging wastewater into water bodies in Russian and presented the translated version with discussion at the Russian Ministry of Environment on 16.02.2021.
- Three new pilot plants from cement and milk production are identified. Detailed programs of cooperation have been agreed.
- Online working meeting of the project and the pilot plant "Heidelberg-Cement" in September 2020 on the current implementation of the pilot project for the introduction of automated systems for continuous emission control. The status quo, current problems and challenges were discussed with technical experts.
- 11th of September 2019: Final conference of the first phase of the project with more than 120 participants took place in Moscow. In frame of the panel session the interim results of the project implementation and the new challenges of the reform were discussed. A special story film was produced by the project to show the goals and tasks of the project in context of climate and environmental protection.
- 5th - 9th of August 2019: the study tour to Bavaria to present the experiences in the regulation of non-IED-facilities took place. The specialists of the city administration of Munich and government of the Upper Bavaria shared experiences with the Russian delegation comprising of the representatives of MNRE, RPN, BAT Bureau and industrial enterprises. There were also site visits to the facilities regulated under TA Luft (technical guidelines on pollution control of the atmosphere), incl. digestion facility, sewage treatment facilities and BMW plant.
- July 2019: two rigorous training courses of the project have been held at the State University of Tomsk and at the People’s Friendship University of Russia in Moscow. Both universities use and integrate the curricula developed by the project in their own academic programs based on the license agreements signed with project.
- In December 2017 the state authority ROSSTANDARD accepted the remaining Russian reference documents on BAT. German and Russian experts of the project commented on seven of the 51 BREFs.
- In October and December 2017 two trainings on the basic principles of industrial environmental protection based on best available techniques (BAT), respective legal innovations, Russian best available techniques reference documents (BREF) and international experience on the transition to BAT were held. In the six trainings more than 203 people coming from 61 Russian regions participated. Among them were 109 representatives of Russian approval and oversight authorities, 73 representatives of industry and 21 representatives of education institutions. On November 30, 2017, the training component of the project was awarded the international environmental award "Ecoworld" of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAEN) in the field of "Ecological Education, Enlightenment and Culture".
- During the international conference „Best available techniques“ of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection (MoNRE) on November 22, 2017 in Moscow the deputy director of the department of state policy and regulation in the field of environmental protection thanked the project explicitly for its quick, reliable and competent support of her department. Inter alia the project developed two proposals for legal acts, analyses and recommendations on continuous emissions control, threshold levels for industrial installations as well as BAT associated emission levels (BAT-AEL ).
- Within the technology platform the project published in January 2017 together with the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce and the German Embassy in Moscow the publication "Environment in the focus of the German Economy". In the publication more than 40 German companies present their best practice environmental protection technologies and their application in Russia. The project presented the brochure together with the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce on February 14, 2017 in the residence of the German ambassador. In the fireside chat took part among others the personal advisor of the Russian president on climate and environment, the minister of environment of Kaluga region as well as directors of German and Russian companies in Russia. The brochure is available in Russian on the project website: www.good-climate.com/…
- Six expert opinions have been prepared for drafts of normative acts regulating the introduction of BAT.
- Three drafts of state standards for cement industry enterprises have been prepared.
- 24 publications on BAT related topics have been published.
- Eight educational courses have been organized and carried out.
- Eight BREFs have been drafted with support of project experts.
- Nine companies have been consulted on the potential and needs for BAT implementation.
- Three training modules on legal bases and technological aspects of BAT implementation have been developed.
- 272 representatives from permitting authorities and business have been trained on integrated permits and BREFs
- Two pilot companies of the project received an integrated environmental permit in 2019.
- Five study tours to Germany focusing on BAT and emission controlling have been organized.