Climate friendly technologies and capacity development for the implementation of the Brazilian National Waste Policy
As of: July 2020
Objective and activities
Although Brazil established a progressive waste policy in 2010, GHG (greenhouse gas) emissions are still increasing in the waste sector. The project therefore aims to improve the conditions in this sector with the aim of exploiting the climate protection potential. To this end, climate-relevant criteria are integrated into the regulations, rules, laws, etc., enacted by the ministries. Municipal and private sector employees are also given training and decision-making support instruments are provided for the municipalities to help them plan and implement waste management measures that impact on climate protection (‘capacity development’). The project supports the integration of climate-friendly waste management measures into study courses and the establishment of a German-Brazilian research and advisory network. In this way it helps to firmly anchor a sustainable, climate-friendly and innovative waste policy.
State of implementation/results
- In cooperation with six partner universities, eleven research projects on sustainable waste management were submitted to various institutions in Brazil (CAPES, FINEP and FDD) and in Germany (BMBF and DAAD).
- Three partner universities have submitted project proposals on climate-friendly waste management instruments and treatment technologies to the Brazilian innovation and research funding institution FINEP.
- Four partner universities submitted five project proposals or funding applications to Fundo Difuso, a funding mechanism based on legal penalties, on project-relevant topics.
- Cooperation agreements signed with five partner universities and the Ceará State Agricultural Research Institute (NUTEC), negotiations for accession to the German-Brazilian research network. Research and consulting network with two further universities.
- 16 pilot municipalities in Ceará, Minas Gerais and Mato Grosso received further training and advice on regional waste management plans, waste tariffs and waste management financing.
- Integration of the recycling management concept into the publication of a tender by the Ministry of the Environment for investment subsidies in the waste sector (approx. 7 million euros).
- Training of more than 300 key players of the FEP Fund has been conducted.
- 140 employees trained in the pilot project in the state of Paraná in March 2019.
- The public hearing on the PLANSAB (National Plan for Sanitation) contains climate criteria due to the cooperation and was concluded in April 2019
- High-ranking delegation trip to Germany: Head of Department for Environmental Quality (MMA) André França, Head of Department Financing Projects in the Water, Sewage and Waste Sector of the MDR Luciana Capanema, and Head of Competence Field for Technology Development and Innovation of the MCTIC Eduardo Soriano Lousada visited the Waste-to-Resources Congress in Hanover in May 2019.
- More than 50 multipliers and professionals reached through training at the annual congress of the association ABES (Associação Brasileira de Engenharia Sanitária e Ambiental) in June 2019.
- Platform developed jointly with MDR and MMA "Financing opportunities for municipal waste management" online.
- Presentation of the landfill gas utilization plan of the pilot community Brasília at the business matchmaking of the Foreign Trade Chamber Rio de Janeiro
- Congress on climate financing for urban waste management in Brasilia in July 2019.