Climate Friendly Waste Management
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
The aim of the project is to support decision-makers at all levels in Russia to provide adapted concepts for a climate-friendly and recycling oriented waste management. Consulting, know-how transfer, training, support of demonstration projects and information dissemination help to design the new rules and regulations accordingly. Climate-relevant aspects are taken into account in the implementation of the selected regions of Russia. The project is mainly focused on improved management of municipal waste. It contributes to reducing the previously underestimated greenhouse gas reduction potential of the waste sector in the climate policy debate, so that they can be used in future national climate contributions from Russia can be used in a targeted manner.
State of implementation/results
Participation in the GreenTech EXPO exhibition in November 2018 in Moscow
- kick-off event of the project on 13.11.2018 in Moscow with lectures and panel discussions - more than 120 participants
- participation of the project in the Forum "Ecotechnoparks" in February 2018 in Moscow, where a concept of recycling centres was presented
- kick-off talks in the pilot regions Kaluga and Kursk in February 2019, contact established with the pilot region Woronezh in March 2019
- organisation of a conference on the subject "Study and training in waste management" on 05.03.2019. Seven German universities and more than 130 persons participated
- Needs assessment for the development of teaching modules for Russian universities and advanced training institutions was carried out
- Presentation of two lectures on the Circular Economy and Packaging Law at the Forum Ekologija from 25. - 26.03.2019 in Moscow
- From 21 to 25.04.2019 a study trip to Germany for the representatives of the state legal department of the presidential administration was organized. The basic principles of German waste law were discussed at the Federal Ministry (UBA) and the State Ministry of North Rhine-Westphalia (LANUV) in Düsseldorf.
- From 4 to 6 June 2019, the project participated with its own stand at the international exhibition for waste management "WastTech-2019" in Moscow. In the context of the exhibition, a webinar on the German experience in the field of waste management and the best available technologies was organised on 4 June, in which representatives of the German associations RETech and CReED took part. www.otxod.com/…
- Since July 2019, the GIZ Moscow office has held the deputy chair in the working group "Waste Management and Closed Substance Cycle Waste Management" of the German-Russian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (AHK). In July 2019 the project supported the filming for the report of the channel "Rossija 24" on waste management facilities in Germany: www.youtube.com/…
- On 12.08.2019 a round table "Landfills: legal, organisational and financial aspects" took place at the MNRU with the participation of the Deputy Minister of the Environment Loginow. German experiences were presented by German practitioners and UBA experts. www.otxod.com/…
- On 27.09.2019, a round table on extended product responsibility took place at the MNRU with the participation of Deputy Environment Minister Loginow. At the event, experts from UBA, the GIZ and the AHK presented best practices from Germany.
- A financial model for calculating the costs of introducing separate collection in smaller rural areas was developed by the project and presented to the MNRU.