Climate protection through low carbon projects in the city network of the province Jiangsu
As of: February 2020
Objective and activities
The project supported the Jiangsu Development and Reform Commission in drafting holistic energy strategies adapted to the requirements of cities and industry sectors. It focused on providing advice on integrated, innovative energy systems, especially in terms of energy streams and materials flows, increased energy efficiency and renewable energies. The project enabled German expertise to be shared and promotes skills development for energy management teams. The introduction of innovative energy systems in Jiangsu contributed to China's climate change and urbanization objectives. In the medium term, it lead to the realignment of economic structures and have a positive impact on employment, training, productivity and quality of life. The aim was to establish a low-carbon economy in Jiangsu Province by introducing new energy concepts and a circular economy. Also under debate is a cap on CO2 emissions up to 2030.
Low Carbon Development Achieved Through Energy Efficiency Measures in Jiangsu Province
State of implementation/results
- Support to the Jiangsu Development and Reform Commission (JDRC) in the thematic area innovative energy (efficiency) concepts and linking of energy and material flows, with special emphasis on energy efficiency and renewable energies.
- In cooperation with the Jiangsu Information Center, development of training concepts and advisory services designed to assist industrial parks in introducing new energy concepts and the recycling of industrial waste was undertaken.
- The project participated in a national working group of the Chinese Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development (MoHURD) to create a planning standard for urban / industrial park energy concepts.
- From 22nd to the 26th May 2017, a roadshow on climate protection through integrated urban development was undertaken on invitation of the Development and Reform Commission (DRC) of Huaibei City, Anhui Province. Huaibei is striving for a structural change to become independent of coal. Experiences of the industrial and urban development of the Ruhr area relevant for the climate protection targets of Jiangsu (e.g. the introduction of hydrogen as a climate-friendly energy source of the future) were also presented together with the Nanjing Information Center at other events in Zhenjiang and Nanjing
- In order to provide an application for integrated energy systems, a training course on climate protection by integrated energy management in industry was held 19-23 June 2017 at the Medical Industry Park Taizhou. Participants were given practical suggestions on how to use them in their industrial work environment. German know-how is combined with Chinese knowledge and adapted to local requirements in a sequence of three courses. Through the potential energy savings, the project contributes to achieving Jiangsu's climate protection goals.
- Project completed.