Climate Protection through Sustainable Bioenergy Markets in Viet Nam
As of: October 2021
Vietnam’s economy is booming to such an extent that the country’s electricity consumption is expected to triple by 2030. The government is consequently expanding the use of biomass waste for electricity and heat generation to achieve the greenhouse gas reduction targets planned in Vietnam’s nationally-determined contributions (NDCs). The project supports the development of a sustainable market in this area, advising consultants, project developers and investors on how to draw up feasibility studies, and providing the authorities with an instrument for the approval of biomass energy projects. It teaches staff from financial institutions how to examine and evaluate applications and develops a financing mechanism to favour suitable investments. The project initiates technology partnerships between national and international companies and research and development institutions to develop locally adapted solutions.
Expanding renewable energies in Viet Nam
Improving the Energy Policy Setting for Renewable Energies and Grid-Connected Pilot Wind Energy Project
State of implementation/results
- On 05/03/2020, the feed-in tariff (FIT) for electricity from biomass was increased by the Vietnamese government to 1,644 VDN/kWh for CHP projects and to 1,968 VDN/ kWh for other types of biomass projects. This is an important step towards further investment in biomass.
- Due to the extensive containment of the Coronavirus in Vietnam, events were able to be held by the BEM. These include the BEM kick-off, a biomass investment policy consultation, a PDP8 bioenergy workshop and a capacity needs assessment meeting.
- The project and biogas were covered in national and international media.
- On 16/97/2020, BEM was invited to a meeting of the Energy Support Programme (ESP) with Vietnamese press representatives to inform local journalists about biomass, ESP activities and the potentials of FIT.
- National press releases about the BEM events can be found within the following links: BEM consultation workshop on updating the biomass project development guide in January 2021 [ven.vn/…], VTC10 talk show on biomass energy (in Vietnamese) [ www.youtube.com/…;fea-ture=youtu.be www.youtube.com/…;fea-ture=youtu.be ]
- All relevant BEM activities are posted on the Facebook profile of the GIZ/MOIT energy programme: www.facebook.com/…
- In 2020 the BEM participated in the three conferences "Climate Change and Sustainability Management in Vietnam and Taiwan", the international conference of Palangka Raya University Indonesia and the "11th Biomass Pellets Trade & Power".