Climate Support Programme (CSP) - Phase III
As of: May 2020
Objective and activities
South Africa is one of the 20 countries in the world that emit the greatest volumes of CO2. The country is also severely affected by the consequences of climate change, especially in the water and agriculture sectors. The project supports the South African Department of Environmental Affairs, Forestry & Fisheries (DEFF) in the development and implementation of its national climate policy in the fields of governance, mitigation, adaptation policy and MRV (Measuring, Reporting and Verification). The DEFF is also strengthened in its role of encouraging other ministries and the private sector to implement climate-relevant projects. This support helps the DEFF to implement its climate policy more quickly, more effectively and in a knowledge-based manner. In this way, the project supports the transformation to a lower-carbon economy and a climate-resistant society. The successful further development and implementation of its national climate policy is a prerequisite for South Africa if the country is to continue to play a prominent and constructive role in international climate negotiations.
Climate Protection Programme in Support of the South African Department of Environmental Affairs – DEA II
Developing Climate Policy Capacity within the South African Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEAT)
State of implementation/results
- The project builds upon the results of two previous projects "Climate Protection Programme in Support of the South African Department of Environmental Affairs" and "Climate programme to support South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs".
- Preparation of the final draft of the post-2020 mitigation architecture
- Stakeholder consultations on the draft South African Climate Change Bill.
- Green Transport Strategy
- Draft Low-Emission Development Strategy (LEDS)
- Launch of the Smart Home Building Campaign in partnership with the Green Building Council of South Africa.
- South Africa's Third Biennial Update Report (BUR)
- 2. IKI Interface Workshop in South Africa in November 2019 and new IKI platform for exchange on specific topics.
- Main authors' meeting of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in Durban
- Training of 12 local journalists to improve reporting on local, national and international climate issues.
- The third phase of the "Local Government Climate Change Support Programme (LGSP) on Mitigation" is completed, 30 local communities were covered.
- The third phase of the Local Government Climate Change Support Programme (LGSP) on Adaptation in 20 district communities was completed.
- Support for the National Planning Committee (NPC) in consulting their Just Transition process in 3 provinces.
- Training of 60 private sector bankers on climate risk analysis supported.
- Training of 100 agricultural experts on Climate Smart Agriculture started in 3 provinces.
- Training on climate financing at the municipal level within the framework of the Local Government Climate Change Support Programme (LGSP) in 65 municipalities from 17 districts.