Consolidating the Brazilian National System of Conservation Units (SNUC) - LifeWeb
As of: July 2021
Brazil is home to around 20% of the world’s species and the SNUC preserves this natural heritage. The protected area is currently about four times the size of Germany. The project measures strengthen the capacities of the Ministry of the Environment in the strategic management of the SNUC and also optimise the management and coordination processes of the organisations responsible for SNUC administration. This is done at both federal and state levels. Handouts support the preparation of management plans. The financing of the SNUC is also sustainably improved through the use of suitable instruments such as compensation payments, and strategic communication measures are created to increase the appreciation of the nature reserves for biodiversity protection among the Brazilian population, industries and government agencies.
State of implementation/results
- The "Forum of Heads of Protected Areas Agencies" was reactivated to improve exchanges between the Department of Protected Areas in the Ministry of Environment (DAP/MMA), the Nature Conservancy ICMBio, and the environmental agencies of the provinces, necessary for the coordination of the National Protected Areas System SNUC. In 2020, cooperation between DAP/MMA and the Forum was intensified by establishing a joint information exchange platform.
- The Information and Monitoring System for Private Protected Areas (SIMRPPN) was updated and improved with support of the project. In addition to the federal level, the new system now also allows states and municipalities to register private protected areas and to manage the corresponding information themselves.
- More than 40 key actors at local, regional and national level were trained in results-based management as part of a comprehensive capacity development strategy and will serve as multipliers. In total, more than 400 people were trained in results-based management and the training program was institutionalized in the National Protected Area Academy.
- The first round of the online course developed by the project on the preparation of management plans for protected areas had great success. 714 participants from administration, academia and the general public completed the course with a certificate.
- In September 2020, a new training course for protected area staff on the use of the web-based tool "Analysis and Monitoring of the Management of Protected Areas (SAMGe)" (samge.icmbio.gov.br), developed with support of the project, was launched. Protected area managers from the federal states and municipalities participated. The results of the 2020 SAMGe survey are published online (samge.icmbio.gov.br/…).
- From October 13-18, 2020, two civil society-organized digital events on Brazilian protected areas, supported by the project, took place. The Proteja Talks webinar series (www.youtube.com/…) featured expert panels on "SNUC and 20 Years of Connecting with Nature." In the already third edition of the event "A Day in the Park" (“Um Dia No Parque” (www.umdianoparque.net), videos and interviews with experts and personalities from music and culture were published in social networks. Over 500,000 people have been reached. In addition, virtual tours or presence activities were offered in over 170 protected areas - in compliance with security measures due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Based on a communication plan, actions have been carried out since 2018 to raise awareness about SNUC among the population and political actors. One of the activities is the video production "The Value of Protected Areas for the Brazilian Population" (O Valor das Unidades de Conservação para a Sociedade Brasileira, youtu.be/…).