Decarbonisation of the Chilean energy sector
As of: September 2021
Chile has great potential for the use of renewable energy sources. The project therefore supports the expansion of solar and wind power in the partner country. In addition, it promotes innovative technologies and approaches such as "green" hydrogen for renewable energy system integration and sector coupling. To this end, innovative projects will be identified and prepared for financing. The project builds on the positive experience of the previous project which contributed significantly to the dynamic development of renewable energy sources in Chile from 2014 to 2019. The project promotes the decarbonisation of the Chilean energy sector by introducing market-based climate protection instruments in addition to support to the coal withdrawal. To this end, it advises the Chilean government on the implementation of its ambitious and coherently concerted agenda in the climate and energy sector.
State of implementation/results
- Chile's sustainable energy transition gets broad international attention under the Chilean COP25 presidency with substantial contributions by the project.
- The Chilean Ministry for Energy is supported in the organisation of the first Energy Ministers Day during a COP where the role of the energy sector for achieving climate protection goals is emphasized concordantly. Three side events around main topics of the energy transition take place: sector coupling, conversion of coal-fired power plants, and concentrating solar power. Top-ranking Chilean and international speakers talk about topics such as "green" hydrogen, coal phase-out or the integration of renewable energy on five more side events.
- An action plan for women in the energy sector was initiated by the Chilean Ministry for Energy with support from the project. According to this plan, 26 institutions, boards, and companies in the energy sector commit to various measures in order to promote a higher share of women within their business.
- A policy document on climate protection of stakeholders from all industrial sectors in Chile was prepared with support by the project. It shows how the single sectors can contribute to climate neutrality by 2050.
- A video on Chile's CO2 neutrality by 2050 was screened during the plenary discussion of the energy ministers during the COP25 (English: youtu.be/…, Spanish: youtu.be/…).
- A 3D model of Chile with virtual reality applications was developed: It shows Chile's energy future with a decarbonized energy sector and innovative applications such as „green“ hydrogen (production and consumption), conversion of coal-fired power plants, and various renewable energy technologies. It is available for national and international events, is well received, and the Ministry for Energy uses it independently.
- Several German TV broadcasts during COP25 and in 02/2020 feature the project: www.zdf.de/…, www.3sat.de/…, www.3sat.de/…