Ecosystem-based adaptation and regional evelopment by empowerment of Ukrainian Biosphere Reserves
As of: October 2021
Adaptation to the impacts of climate change has not yet been consistently integrated into Ukraine’s land management and strategic planning. This has resulted in various land use practices and infrastructure projects that have led to the critical loss of the regulating ecosystem services. The project integrates an EbA approach to sustainable land use into national and regional planning. Specifically, it supports the Desnyanskyi, Roztochya and Shatskyi biosphere reserves through the introduction of participatory and adaptive ecosystem management. This is also achieved by building up knowledge among local stakeholders, increasing the number of personnel and by developing strategies and networks. The project also develops proposals on how EbA principles can be incorporated into environmental legislation and ecosystem management. Suitable proposals for EbA measures are also being tested in a pilot scheme using an ideas competition in the three biosphere reserves.
State of implementation/results
- A call for proposals on ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) approaches in three biosphere reserves (BRs) in Ukraine ended with about 30 applications from civil society actors. Three projects were selected from each of the three BRs, for a total of 9 pilot projects. The contracts with the awardees were concluded and the implementation of the pilot projects started.
- The implementation of the projects is monitored by the project consortium and the respective experts*: www.eba-ukraine.net/…
- Together with the BRs, ten workshops have been held in the framework of EbA strategy development process. Based on the elaboration/collection of EbA strategies and measures - Five criteria-based "EbA key strategies" per BR were selected. In addition, work plans as well as monitoring plans were developed on the part of BRs. As a result, five detailed work plans including monitoring plans per BR are ready for implementation.
- On March 02, 2021, a meeting of the project steering committee took place together with ministry representatives. During the meeting, the status of project implementation was discussed and the results of the strategy process and the selected EbA project proposals were presented. Currently, there is a discussion on how to legally and politically incorporate the EbA approach into the management of biosphere reserves in Ukraine.
- 26 Ukrainian and German experts jointly prepared a statement paper in the framework of the international training program "Ecosystem-based Adaptation to Climate Change" in Eberswalde. The authors are composed of experts and active members from five out of eight Ukrainian BRs, governmental and NGOs, and universities. The statement paper is available on the project website (see links).