Energy efficiency in public buildings in Turkey
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
If greenhouse gas emissions are to be successfully reduced, both private houses and public buildings must be energy-efficient – so Turkey’s national climate action plan aims to reduce annual energy consumption in public buildings by 20% until 2023. The project supports the relevant ministries to improve the legal, technical and administrative conditions for energy efficiency in public buildings. To achieve this, it also advises its partners on how to set up a data management system (DMS) for energy consumption and promotes technical cooperation between Germany and Turkey. In addition, a primary school is being renovated as a pilot building for energy efficiency and the energy savings are being measured using the DMS. The project – part of the German Climate Technology Initiative – is implementing information and dissemination campaigns to increase the demands for energy services and efficient technologies.
State of implementation/results
- 03/2020: Several studies prepared on energy efficiency (RE) in Turkey, i.a. study on the transferability of elements from international definitions of Low Energy Buildings (nZEB) to Turkey and study on “Enhancing Turkey’s policy framework for energy efficiency of buildings, and recommendations for the way forward based on international experiences”.
- Training of more than 200 participants from different professions on the revised Turkish Building Energy Certificate (BEP TR-2). Currently, there are 5,400 energy certification experts in Turkey. Since the 1st of January 2020, BEP-TR certificates are mandatory according to law N° 30051. Over 1,028,000 energy certificates have been issued in recent years, of which 222,000 are for newly constructed buildings after 2011.
- Launch of the first „EE-Hackathon“ in Turkey on the development of EE digital solutions in the building sector (hackathon.ee-turkey.org).
- 1st Summer School 2018 on EE in buildings with students of architecture faculties of METU Ankara and Beuth Hochschule Berlin prepared and carried out. 2nd Summer School in 2019 organized by universities themselves (DAAD Funding).
- For the long-term bilateral academic cooperation and development of a bilateral TUR-GER Master program on EE in buildings a certification programme with 6 modules is being developed.
- Finalisation of a mobile EE building model for MoEU (Scale 1/20) for training purposes;
- EE Pilot Retrofit Planning of a school in Kırıkkale (energetic retrofit with a mechanical ventilation and structural strentghening for earthquake safety as well as Rootop PV 57 kWp). Construction ongoing.
- Preparation of an EE school retrofit guideline that can be used as a basis for the retrofit of up to 60,000 school buildings in Turkey.
- Website: Energy Efficiency in Public Buildings in Turkey (EN / TR): ee-turkey.org
- Website: EE Hackathon: hackathon.ee-turkey.org