Energy-efficient suburb in Lviv
As of: January 2021
Old combined heat and power stations, obsolete district heating networks and inadequately insulated buildings with inefficient heating lead to high energy consumption in many Ukrainian towns and cities – and consequently to high emissions and costs. The model project aims to develop the Sichiv district of Lviv into a showcase district for energy efficiency – the entire energy chain will be addressed, and the building stock, social structure and energy consumption of the district are to be analysed to this end. Based on this, concepts for energy and resource efficiency as well as emission reduction are being developed. An energy and climate monitoring system for the district is also being set up. The project complements an investment programme of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development to upgrade heat generation facilities and the district heating network in Sichiv. This will be the first time that a Ukrainian energy-efficient suburb has been created, one which will serve as a showcase for other cities in the region.
State of implementation/results
- On December 10, 2018, a political kick-off event took place in Lviv. The event was attended by representatives of the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), the Ukrainian Ministry of Regional Development, Construction, Housing and Commmunal Economy and the Mayor of the City of Lviv. All stakeholders confirmed their contributions to the project and underlined the importance of the project as a local reference for the National Energy Efficiency Fund (EEF).
In terms of energy-efficiency retrofits, the project has contributed to the following results:
- Selection of the Sychiw district as the project district in Lviv.
- Information events for condominium owners' associations on various legal, administrative and technical issues.
- On-the-job training of six energy auditors and workshop for local planning offices to prepare complex thermal retrofit projects for condominiums.
- Support of condominium owners' associations: participation in general meetings, assistance for call tenders, selection and management of planning offices and application procedures.
- Energy audits for twelve condominiums in Sychiw.
- In August 2020, six of the twelve participating condominium owners' associations applied to the EEF call for energy-efficiency retrofit. Four applications were approved, two are still under revision. Since August, other interested communities in the Sychiw district have can although apply to participation in the project.
In terms of the district heating system, the project has contributed to the following results:
- Workshop with the municipal district heating companies, the land registry office and the municipal information technology center.
- Support for the modernisation of the district heating system in the Sychiw district and advice to the local district heating network operator on the strategic planning of expansion or deconstruction scenarios.
- Tender for the procurement of a modelling software according to the needs of the local district heating operator and creation of a GIS-coded model of the heat supply system. This model is the prerequisite for a digital modelling and calculation of the district heating network.