Enhancing low-carbon development by greening the economy in cooperation with the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE)
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
The project supported the BMU in the follow-up processes surrounding Rio +20 and in all green economy topics. In addition, the project provided assistance in designing the economic framework for a low-carbon, green economy with a particular focus on fiscal policy. It provided advisory services to nine partner countries on green economy strategies and policies. The project also actively contributed to the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) and worked closely with other global initiatives, such as the Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP), and different programmes within the partner countries. The aim was to actively support the involvement of all partner countries in regional and international events and initiatives. GIZ and UNEP jointly implemented the project.
Green Economy Transformation in Cooperation with the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) – Synergies between Low-carbon Pathways and Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- Continuous advice to BMUB on Green Economy developments with special focus on green finance, sustainable investments and sustainable financial markets.
- Operation and Management of the "Green Fiscal Policy Network" in cooperation with IMF and UNEP.
- Demand-oriented advice to eight partner countries on green economy measures in the framework of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE), e.g. Uruguay (macroeconomic Green Economy modeling, capacity-building activities on Green and Inclusive Economy at national and subnational level).
- Realisation of surveys and workshops: Global survey on “Extractive Industries and Sovereign Wealth Funds” (2015-2017), Workshop at the EU Green Week in Brussels in May 2016, Workstream at the 17th Global Conference for Environmental Taxation in Groningen in September 2016, 3rd regional workshop of the Green Fiscal Policy Network on "Financing for the SDGs" in Bangkok in December 2016.
- Feedback of the project results in the partner countries into international fora and knowledge networks such as the Green Growth Knowledge Platform (GGKP).
- Climate Protection in China - Sino-German Cooperation as part of the International Climate Initiative (IKI).
- Support to BMUB in organizing the Second Ministerial Conference of the UN’s Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) in March 2017 in cooperation with the IKI project “Strategic Environmental Dialogue”.