Forest Landscape Restoration in Central America and the Dominican Republic (REDD-Landscape / CCAD) and implementation of the Green Development Fund for Central America (REDD Landscape)
As of: October 2020
Objective and activities
Around 8% of all known species worldwide live in the relatively small area of Central America. Through deforestation, soil degradation and agricultural use, however, forests can no longer fulfil their water management, soil protection and biodiversity functions.The project supports at least four countries of the Central American Integration System (SICA) in establishing, developing and carrying out implementation and financing mechanisms for FLR . National strategies, instruments and regulations are introduced, enshrined in law and implemented to this end. The Green Development Fund, which is integrated into the programme, provides project funding and finances FLR pilot projects at landscape level. The project also mobilises public and private investment and supports the Central American Commission for Environment and Development (CCAD) in its efforts to disseminate the Bonn Challenge Initiative in the Caribbean region.
Resource and land use management promoting carbon capture/storage through compensation payments
State of implementation/results
- The project supports the implementation of the Bonn Challenge, an international initiative for the restoration of forest and tree-rich landscapes (FLR) in the Central American and Caribbean region.
- El Salvador's investment project for the "Green Development Fund for the SICA Region" (FDV for the Spanish acronym), co-financed by the EU and managed by the project, started in April 2020 and prepared activities as far as possible in the context of the pandemic. The other projects are still in preparation and have been slightly delayed, partly due to government measures due to the pandemic.
- The second phase of FDV focuses on Green Recovery in the landscapes. The projects were prepared in September and discussed in the Governance Committee on 29 September 2020.
- The project is carrying out studies in Belize and the Dominican Republic with the support of IUCN ROAM
- On 21 September 2020, the four pilot projects and the FDV project from El Salvador were officially presented to an interested public by CCAD in a virtual event.
- All four FLR pilot projects in Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala and the Dominican Republic have started in the first half of 2020 and some of them have already started to implement concrete measures.
- El Salvador's initiative for an international decade for ecosystem restoration 2021-2030 was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in March 2019. The project has supported El Salvador and the region in this initiative.