Forest Landscape Restoration in Central America and the Dominican Republic (REDD-Landscape / CCAD) and implementation of the Green Development Fund for Central America (REDD Landscape)
As of: July 2021
Around 8% of all known species worldwide live in the relatively small area of Central America. Through deforestation, soil degradation and agricultural use, however, forests can no longer fulfil their water management, soil protection and biodiversity functions.The project supports at least four countries of the Central American Integration System (SICA) in establishing, developing and carrying out implementation and financing mechanisms for FLR . National strategies, instruments and regulations are introduced, enshrined in law and implemented to this end. The Green Development Fund, which is integrated into the programme, provides project funding and finances FLR pilot projects at landscape level. The project also mobilises public and private investment and supports the Central American Commission for Environment and Development (CCAD) in its efforts to disseminate the Bonn Challenge Initiative in the Caribbean region.
State of implementation/results
- The project supports the implementation of the Bonn Challenge, an international initiative to restore forested and tree-rich landscapes (FLR), in the Central American and Caribbean region.
- The investment projects in El Salvador, Honduras, Panama and Costa Rica for the "Green Development Fund for the SICA Region" (FDV), co-financed by the EU and managed by the project, started during 2020. The projects in Guatemala and Nicaragua could be signed in early 2021.
- The second phase of the FDV focuses on Green Recovery in the selected pilot landscapes through "Cash for Work" measures. The projects were prepared in 2020 and most of them could start implementation in the first quarter of 2021.
- The project, with the support of IUCN, is conducting ROAM studies to identify restoration potentials of degraded landscapes in Belize and Dominican. Rep. Several workshops have been held virtually, including the launch of the National Roundtable on FLR.
- Launch events of the investment projects of the first phase of the FDV in Honduras (28 February 2021) and Panama (10 March 2021) were held. The project also supported the launch of the Costa Rican Vice-President's initiative, "Huella del Futuro", to whose objectives the FDV projects in Coste Rica contribute.
- The project supported UNEP in organising various knowledge exchanges and webinars on forest incentive payments.
- All four FLR pilot projects in CR, ES, GT and DR have started with concrete actions in the territory, some of them will already be successfully completed in mid 2021.
- El Salvador's initiative on an International Decade for Ecosystem Restoration 2021-2030 was adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in March 2019. The project has supported El Salvador and the region in this initiative.