Gender into Urban Climate Change Initiative (GUCCI)
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
GenderCC works with a consortium of experienced organizations in India, Indonesia, South Africa and MExico to integrate social and gender issues into urban climate policy. Activities include capacity building for national organizations; training of 'gender and climate change promoters' in the pilot cities; development and application of a method to assess and monitor cities' policies for gender sensitivity, inclusiveness, social and environmental impacts; identify key actions for urban low-carbon and sustainable development; prepare outreach and advocacy strategies addressing local governments; implement pilot actions and campaigns, and develop training materials and an e-learning course. Partners are involved in an intensive joint working and learning process including evaluation and dissemination. In 12 pilot cities, local capacities are built to increase women's participation and introduce concrete recommendations for gender responsive strategies into urban policy.
State of implementation/results
- Workshops with local women organisations took place in all three project countries
- A new project tool 'Gender Assessment and Methodology of Adaptation and Mitigation' (GAMMA) was developed and approved
- The Satus Quo reports of the 6 pilot cities were published on the GenderCC website and provide an overview of the socio-economic situation, the impact of climate change and urban climate policy
- The Deutsche Welle Team Global 3000 portrayed project collaborator Ndivile Mokoena of the South African partner organisation GenderCC Southern Africa and published the recording in 03/2018 in various languages: www.dw.com/…
- An explanatory video on gender and climate change in urban areas, which addresses urban climate protection employees is now available here: vimeo.com/…
- Jointly with the Women and Gender Constituency, GenderCC contributed to a submission to the UNFCCC on how to mainstream gender considerations into adaptation planning and implementation, showcasing the results of GAMMA assessments run at the Lorong Garden in Indonesia.
- New status quo reports from pilot cities Chennai, Kolkata, Ekurhuleni and eThekwini are available on the GUCCI webpage (gendercc.net).
- GenderCC was invited to share preliminary results of the GUCCI project at the UNFCCC 2019 Forum of the Standing Committee on Finance, on September 12th and 13th held in Beirut, Lebanon.
- GenderCC is one of the 12 European NGOs participating in the 2019 edition of the EU-China NGO twinning programme. Isadora Cardoso, project coordinator at GenderCC, contributed to a panel on the commonalities and differences on the work of women and gender NGOs in both China and Europe and presented the GUCCI project to the participants.
- GenderCC was present at the SB50 in June in Bonn. Ndivile Mokoena, co-focal point of the Women and Gender Constituency, and coordinator of the GUCCI project in South Africa, shared the experience of the project on the side event “Implementing gender-responsive NDCs from the bottom up”. – In 6/2019, a joint webinar was held with the C40 cities network in order to share approaches and knowledge on gender-responsive urban climate policy. – India: AIWC Chennai launched a webpage on the project: wiachennai.org
- South Africa 2019: 2 staff members of GenderCC SA were featured amongst the country’s 76 South African voices speaking up for the environment. --