As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
Kenya has created a strong framework for national climate change mitigation measures, one which requires considerable national and international funding. The “GNIplus” project (The Global NDC Implementation Partners) provides professional, legal, technical and financial advice to the Kenyan government, helping it to implement its Climate Change Act and Action Plan. GNIplus creates a framework to encourage public and private investment in project pipelines that are technically mature, low in emissions and climate-resistant. The measures include the integration and networking of interest groups, analyses to assess legal and political barriers, the evaluation of the technical feasibility of project pipelines, the development of an implementation roadmap with financing solutions and an MRV (Measuring, Reporting and Verification) system. Governance and transparency aim at strengthening investor confidence with the help of enforceable regulations, thus enabling sustainable investment decisions.
State of implementation/results
- CPI published an article on the GNIplus Kenya programme (www.eli.org/…).
- GNIplus has established a Coalition of Investors which will meet twice a year to overcome challenges and barriers to private investment in the selected sectors (forestry and water). The group comprises public and private sector experts and has met twice.
- Under the forestry priority sector GNIplus has supported the National Programme for Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES) and is advising the National Expert Group on REDD+.
- GNIplus is part of the MRV working group and is leading on the development of the guidance on mitigation action reporting and implementation of MRV systems in Kenya.
- GNIplus has started the domestic tracking of climate finance for Kenya and is aiming for publication in November 2020 (africasustainabilitymatters.com/…).