As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
The goal is to support the GoK, through its Climate Change Directorate, to operationalize elements of the Climate Change Act and implement the elements of the National Climate Change Action Plan. GNIplus will provide expert legal, technical and financial advice to support the creation of enabling environments to scale up public and private investment in technically well-designed low-carbon and climate-resilient project pipelines; improve governance and transparency through the creation of robust and enforceable regulations and clear decision-making procedures that provide investor confidence; and build national capacity. Measures include: comprehensive stakeholder engagement; deep dive analysis to assess legal and policy barriers and the technical feasibility of project pipelines; and the development of an implementation roadmap including financing solutions and an MRV system.
State of implementation/results
- CPI published an article on the GNIplus Kenya programme (www.eli.org/…)
- GNIplus has established a Coalition of Investors which will meet twice a year to overcome challenges and barriers to private investment in the selected sectors (forestry and water). The group comprises public and private sector experts. First meeting was held.
- GNIplus has supported a newly established group for the development of a National Programme for Payment for Ecosystem Services (PES). Under the forestry priority sector GNIplus is providing technical support over the feasibility study.
- GNIplus is part of the MRV working group and is leading on the development of the guidance on mitigation action reporting and the carbon markets registry.
- GNIplus has started the domestic tracking of climate finance for Kenya.