Green Banking - Capacity Building on Green Energy and Climate Finance
As of: July 2020
Objective and activities
Lacking availability of appropriate financing options is still a major stumbling block for unlocking the climate change mitigation potential for Renewable Energy (RE) and Energy Efficiency (EE) in developing countries. A main reason is the missing know-how of bankers and investors in RE and EE, resulting in an exaggerated risk perception. The “Green Banking”, a joint project by RENAC and “Association of Development Financing Institutions in Asia & Pacific” (ADFIAP), focuses on sustainable capacity building measures and support for bankers and investors in Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, the Philippines and India. Due to its dynamic development this region has an important role in international climate change mitigation efforts. Establishing a new training degree of a “Green Banking Specialist” generates a long-lasting impact on the availability of green finance. By unlocking additional finance for RE and EE the project leads to a high leverage effect of the required budget.
State of implementation/results
- The Green Banking project has been successfully implemented in Southeast Asia over the past three years and will now be continued in Latin America until 2022.
- Over 600 participants from financial institutions, project developers and public institutions in Southeast Asia have so far received one of the popular scholarships to participate in one of five training formats.
- The project duration in Southeast Asia ended in April 2019 and was concluded with alumni conferences in all partner countries.
- In October 2018 and February 2019, Capacity Needs Assessment trips to the countries were undertaken with reference to the project region Latin America in order to publicise the project locally and to measure the country-specific need for capacity-building measures.
- Further information on the activities and upcoming events (content, dates, application requirements) of the Green Banking project can be found at www.renac.de/…