Green Climate Fund - Civil Society Readiness: Focus Africa
As of: October 2021
The Green Climate Fund (GCF) is the most important multilateral instrument for climate financing and focuses its support on the least developed countries, small island states, and African states. The project enhances existing capacities of African civil society to improve the quality of the GCF project proposals submitted, bringing in on-the-ground expertise and enabling the participatory monitoring of GCF projects. Project activities include, among other things, the organisation of webinars and workshops as well as the preparation of handouts. The project further promotes networking to strengthen the high-level involvement of civil society stakeholders in key African countries. Moreover, the expansion of civil society engagement is encouraged through an exchange of experience at the regional and global levels. The project thus helps embedding GCF-funded activities in a broader societal support for a transformation towards a low-emission and climate-resilient society.
State of implementation/results
- After a first project phase 2016-2019, the GCF CSO Readiness project has been extended for a second phase until October 2022. The number of partner countries is expanded from five to ten (Cameroon, Côte d'Ivoire, Egypt, Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Morocco, Namibia, Senegal).
- The GCF CSO Toolkit which has been compiled during the first project phase (germanwatch. org/en/16694) has been translated into French (germanwatch.org/…).
- The project consortium has actively participated in international CSO work on GCF Board Meetings B.26 (August 2020) and B.27 (November 2020);
- Two regional webinars with francophone partners were organized on the topic of the "Role of Civil Society in the GCF" and on the follow-up of the 26th and 27th GCF Board of Directors meetings:
- The first online-seminar on the follow-up of the 26th GCF Board Meeting was organized by JVE Cameroon on August 24, 2020 with inputs from partners from Morocco, Senegal and Côte d'Ivoire. About 170 people participated in the online seminar.
- The second webinar to follow up on the 27th GCF Board Meeting was organized on November 26, 2020 by JVE Cameroon, with inputs from partners from Morocco, Senegal, and Côte d'Ivoire. About 60 people participated in the online seminar.
- Mutual capacity building with the new partner organizations has been started through several virtual meetings;
- One English language and one French language online seminar with other CSOs, government representatives, etc. have been organized in the 2nd half of the year so far:
- The online seminar in English was organized on August 3, 2020 in collaboration with PACJA. Speakers included the GCF Board member from Senegal and partners from Morocco, Senegal and Côte d'Ivoire. Over 300 people from Africa and other regions participated in the webinar.
- The online seminar in French, was organized on August 20, 2020, in collaboration with JVE Cameroon. Speakers included the GCF board member from Liberia and partners from Malawi, Ghana, and Senegal. Over 360 people participated in the online seminar.