Identification, delimitation and integrated management of marine protected areas
As of: July 2020
Objective and activities
The Colombian government is planning to amplify and sustainably manage protected marine areas. The negative impact of Climate Change is also affecting the ecosystemic services and therefore the livelihood of traditional communities. The protect supports the relevant Colombian entities in the identification, prioritization and delimitation of protected marine areas, as well as in sustainable management schemes. The local communities will be included in the process and the management of the areas.
State of implementation/results
- In a national mangrove workshop organised by the project, the Directorate for Marine, Coastal and Aquatic Resources of the Ministry of the Environment, DAMCRA, was able to communicate its political priorities and implementation support to the environmental cooperation projects.
- The project has published an annual notebook with information on the project regions as well as a folder with general information on the project areas and the interventions of the project. Both are distributed to interested partners.
- Furthermore, the project has developed a communication strategy which includes a short documentary film. The film underlines the importance of ecosystem services for the local population in the project area La Guajira.
- As additional information material for the local population, the project was able to produce posters about the ecosystem services provided by the Wayuu in the newly designated Bahía Honda and Bahía Hondita Regional Conservation Area.
- Three small videos have been produced in the project for internal use on the progress and topics of the project: the consultative process (Consulta Previa), fishing and handicrafts. These videos are shown during local workshops.
- The project has produced posters of the future regional protected area. (www.giz.de/…, www.giz.de/…)