Implementation of the National Bio-Corridor Programme (PNCB) in the context of the National Biodiversity strategy of Costa Rica
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
In Costa Rica, 34% of the country’s land area has been designated as biocorridors under the National Biocorridor Programme (PNCB) with the aim of preserving the area’s biodiversity and ecosystem services. Thanks to the PNCB, state environmental programmes are implemented both in and beyond state-protected areas. The project supports the national protected area authorities, local governments and the population in jointly developing strategic plans. In this way, interlinked biotope systems and networking structures are to be established and operated. The project strengthens dialogue platforms and corridor committees, enabling the coordination of conservation measures and the acceptable use of the areas in question. In addition to other measures, a small project fund supports the conversion of agricultural production systems. The project is also establishing incentive systems and financing mechanisms, such as payments for ecosystem services and compensatory payments to guarantee the financing and implementation of the strategic plans in the long term.
State of implementation/results
- The monitoringsystem to measure the effectiveness of the management has been implemented in all 45 biocorridors (area of 15.000 km2).
- The 15 biocorridors (5000 km2), in which the project does direct consultation are all equipped with a management plan by now. Management activities were increased from 38% to 46%.
- As of now 476 experts/participants have been trained on several relevant topics in 12 training courses.
- A financing fund (US$ 500,000,00) for the support of "green production systems and value added chains of small businesse in biocorridors" was implemented.
- In September 2018 an additional financing platform was implemented by PROCOMER (4 Mio. US$) for the support of "green export" of big and medium businesses.
- The project contributed to the first marine protected area of the category „Area Marina de Manejo“ in Cabo Blanco (870 km2). It was recognized by a presitential decree the 08.06.2018.