Integrated coastal zone management and marine biodiversity
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
The project supports an integrated approach to environmental and spatial planning for the marine and coastal zone in the regions Costa dos Corais and Abrolhos. In addition, the project implements measures for the conservation and sustainable use of coastal and marine biodiversity as well as for developing monitoring strategies to assess environmental quality. Project experiences are disseminated nationally and internationally and strengthen relevant local and national policies. The project focuses on capacity building and developing methodologies and works complementary to a Global Environment Facility (GEF) project for the designation of marine protected areas in Brazil (GEF-Mar). It supports Brazilian efforts towards achieving the Aichi Targets, especially Target 6 (sustainable fisheries), 10 (reducing pressures on coral reefs) and 11 (expanding and strengthening the system of coastal and marine protected areas).
State of implementation/results
- More than 500 representatives of the Ministry of the Environment (MMA), the protected area authority ICMBio, the federal states, municipal environmental administrations and civil society were trained through 16 training events on the following topics: municipal environmental management in coastal zones, Marine Spatial Planning (MSP), Systematic Conservation Planning (SCP), sustainable management of traditional fisheries, monitoring of mangrove biodiversity, elaboration of national action plans for the conservation of threatened species
- Monitoring of threatened species in 4 coastal and marine protected areas, with an area of 6.955.24 km²
- 07.2019 - Workshop on the development of fisheries management plans in the RESEX Canavieiras protected area
- 07.2019 - Local workshops on the establishment of a network for fisherwomen in the Costa dos Corais region
- 07.2019 - Local workshops on the strengthening of a network of fisherwomen in the Extreme South of Bahia with a focus on good practices for sustainable value chains, especially for fishery products and rights of indigenous and traditional peoples (until 02.2020)
- 07.2019 - successful public consultation for an environmental zoning of nautical activities (mainly fishery and tourism) for 3 coastal municipalities of Pernambuco (over 5.600 ha water catchment area and coastal waters). Adoption by federal decree expected in the coming months
- 09.2019 - Seminar on strategies to combat marine waste
- 09.2019 - Publication of National Marine Waste Data Collection Protocol (www.mma.gov.br/…)
- Participation in the virtual networking platform "Rede TerraMar"