Mainstreaming EbA - Strengthening ecosystem based adaptation in decision making processes
As of: May 2021
Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) to the impacts of climate change and the integration of climate risks are increasingly forming a central and integral part of planning and implementation processes at local, national and international level. The Global Project Mainstreaming EbA is actively supporting this development whilst offering support for knowledge transfer. Apart from ensuring the exchange of domain expertise on concepts, methods, instruments and success criteria for Ecosystem-based Adaptation strategies, there is also a clear focus on working with partners to develop and disseminate pragmatic solutions. Project partners include the UN an other international organisations and ministries, as well as a number of private enterprises from sectors such as tourism, insurance and construction. By focusing on the transfer of know-how and experience, the project is supporting a global learning and knowledge network and allowing UN negotiations to draw on empirical knowledge.
State of implementation/results
- Annual conduction of side events such as the “EbA knowledge day” during the climate negotiations
- Relevant EbA case studies and methods from a variety of other projects and initiatives are being collected and reviewed. 156 EbA solutions submitted on the online platform PANORAMA
- PANORAMA has been visited over 120,000 times since July 2020. EbA case studies submitted in from 70 countries, from 65 different organisations and encompass 43 different ecosystems
- PANORAMA is mentioned by UNFCCC Nairobi Work Programme (NWP) and CBD Secretary in reports and websites as an important knowledge exchange platform (i.e. in the NWP Adaptation Knowledge Portal, NWP Synthesis Report for Adaptation by using ecosystems and the CBD Voluntary Guidelines for EbA & Eco DRR. 30 EbA case studies are presented in the publication “Solutions in focus – EbA from mountains to oceans”
- 30 EbA-case studies are mentioned in the publication „Solutions in Focus – EbA from mountains to oceans“
- Trainings on EbA were developed and conducted in 12 countries
- Together with IUCN an EbA E-Learning-Kurs was initiated is scheduled to go online during 2021-- 20 webinars were held and are available on adaptationcommunity.net. The topics were EbA criteria, vulnerability and risk analysis, options for prioritization, financing and entry points for mainstreaming, EbA in urban and rural contexts as well as EbA and insurances
- The webinars are attended for networking and capacity development by often over 150 participants per webinar. The webinars are available through www.adaptationcommunity.net and on the EbA YouTube channel
- In cooperation with the project "Strengthening Evidence and Informing Policy“ by IIED and IUCN through FEBA, the project developed criteria for EbA
- A guidebook for monitoring and evaluation of EbA measures will be published in March/April 2020.
- The EbA tools navigator has been developed jointly with IIED, IUCN and UNEP/WCMC
- An overview document on the knowledge products of the EbA mainstreaming project has been developed and is updated on a regular basis