Mitigation Action Implementation Network (MAIN ) I - Stimulating Ambitious Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) to Reduce GHGs in Developing Countries
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
The project stimulated ambitious NAMAs by identifying optimal procedures, funding mechanisms and MRV, and by initiating regional and global dialogues on NAMAs between developing countries in Latin America and Asia. The dialogues brought together government officials responsible for the implementation of mitigation strategies, international NGOs, funders, and experts. The government officials developed and discussed procedures for reducing emissions with their peers and with experts with a focus on private sector integration. This project aimed to encourage donors to support NAMAs. The project linked NAMA implementation with the international climate policy process.
Mitigation Action Implementation Network (MAIN) III: Fulfilling the Promise of NAMAs to Enhance International Climate Ambition
Mitigation Action Implementation Network (MAIN) II: Implementing Ambitious NAMAs in Latin America and Asia
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- Developed common understanding among the developed and developing countries in the MAIN network on how NAMAs can lead to transformational change by aligning mitigation with sustainable development goals, and combining policy reform with financial mechanisms to promote implementation of a pipeline of mitigation actions within a sector.
- Identified over 50 NAMA concepts in various stages of development that will contribute to a pipeline of NAMAs seeking international support.
- Convened seven regional dialogues in Latin America/Caribbean and Asia that provided a forum for developing countries to develop their understanding of NAMAs, share best practices, and test out NAMA ideas with peer countries, contributing countries, and financial experts. Published seven expert policy papers and case studies focusing on topics such as financing, NAMA selection criteria, MRV (monitoring, reporting and verification).
- Developed a database of over 30 mitigation program success stories that could serve as models for NAMAs and published ten of the success stories in the “Road to NAMAs: Global Stories of successful Climate Actions”.
- Hosted one global NAMA financing summit to promote funding support and implementation of NAMAs.
- Hosted five policy lunches on the sidelines of the climate negotiations to bring lessons learned from NAMA development in Latin America and Asia to the negotiations and help shape international climate policy.
- Selected five transformational NAMA concepts as part of the expanded MAIN initiative to advance toward implementation through direct bilateral support and advice on policy design and appropriate financial mechanisms.