Mitigation actions in the transport sector in Costa Rica
As of: May 2021
The mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions by conversion to climate-friendly transport is part of Costa Rica’s NDC. This requires improved framework conditions, exemplary measures, the involvement of the population and the dissemination of successful concepts. The project therefore strengthens the legal and institutional framework for the implementation of a climate-friendly transport policy. Building on this, technical and environmental-economic solutions as well as financing mechanisms are implemented in cooperation with various stakeholders. Besides reducing greenhouse gases, the project measures improve the public transport system and reduce traffic congestion, noise and pollutant emissions. Experiences such as effective models of cooperation between the state, municipalities and the private sector are systematised and incorporated into the regional exchange of information. The model solutions developed in the project thus generate imitation effects that contribute to the reduction of greenhouse gases.
State of implementation/results
- The project accompanied the development of laws, which establish rights and regulations for cycling and promote pedestrian-friendly design of public spaces.
- Using the online tool íMA (Índices de Movilidad Activa) developed by the project and the Institute for Municipal Consultancy (IFAM), municipalities can calculate the pedestrian and bicycle compatibility in their territories in order to identify priority action sites for the implementation of mobility projects (www.ifam.go.cr/…).
- Using the concept of 'Tactical Urbanism', interventions were carried out in 3 municipalities to seek inclusive transport solutions. Public spaces were temporarily changed to demonstrate the added value of an attractive public space.
- Publication of recommendations for the increase of ambitions in mitigating greenhouse gas emissions based on experiences from Latin America (www.changing-transport.org/…).
- Organisation of a virtual seminar on eco-driving in freight transport in order to raise awareness among private and public actors in Costa Rica and to promote training elements for efficient driving in Costa Rica(theicct.org/…).
- As part of a pilot project on the electrification of local transport, three electric buses have been operating on selected bus routes in the San Jose metropolitan region since February 2021 to collect relevant data for upscaling the model to the entire public transport system. A communication campaign informs about the advantages of the technology in social networks, radio and TV (www.presidencia.go.cr/…).
- The project conducted a series of 8 webinars on different aspects of the introduction of electric mobility in public transport (technology, logistics, financing).
- The project continuously supports the Comité para la Electrificación del Transporte Público (Committee for the Electrification of Public Transport). Amongst other things, this led to the development of a new, exclusive electricity tariff for electric buses in public transport.
- The project has promoted several initiatives on the topic of gender equality in the transport sector. Towards the end of 2020, the prototype of a gender-sensitive bus stop developed on behalf of the project was installed in San José. In March 2021, a hackathon was held to develop a digital app to improve women's safety in public transport.