Modernisation of public transport in Lviv (Phase II)
As of: May 2021
A sustainable transport system is essential to significantly reduce the greenhouse gas emissions of cities. The project therefore supported the city of Lviv in developing and planning a sustainable transport system. The core of the project was the extension of the existing tram network by building a new tram line in order to open up further partly socially disadvantaged areas of the city. In addition, Lviv modernised the city bus fleet with the support of the project. By purchasing larger used vehicles, the previous midi buses were replaced and larger passenger capacities were created. New pedestrian zones and other traffic-calming measures led to a reduction in emissions from car traffic. In addition, the project analysed future traffic flows in order to implement better traffic management.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- The city of Lviv's environmental and social programme has been adopted and is currently being implemented.
- Consulting firm for project implementation and structural engineering work selected and commissioned.
- Plans for extending the proposed tram lines have been drawn up.
- Tenders for the construction of the tram lines have been invited-
- Support for the procurement of trains
- Planning and construction of a tram line