As of: January 2022
In order to achieve the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, a global decarbonisation of the transport sector is necessary. Chile is therefore pursuing an ambitious electromobility strategy. The project supports the Chilean government in the context of its presidency of the 25th UN Climate Change Conference in accelerating decarbonisation of the transport sector and putting it on the international agenda. As part of the climate conference, events will be held to raise ambition in the transport sector. The project supports Chile both in the implementation of more ambitious mitigation measures and as a pioneer in Latin America in the development of a financing mechanism for e-mobility with greater involvement of the private sector and implements it in an exemplary manner. The project disseminates the experience with the financing instrument beyond the region.
State of implementation/results
- The project has developed a financing mechanism for the introduction of electric buses in medium-sized Chilean cities, which is being piloted in the cities of Temuco and Concepción. The new business model involves separating ownership and operation of e-buses to diversify risk and improve financing conditions. The aim is to transfer the model to other cities. The project also supports the financing of the charging infrastructure. At the Transport and Climate Change Week in June 2021, a tool developed by the project was presented that enables the economic and financial evaluation of e-bus fleets in English, Spanish and French (changing-transport.org/…).
- Support for the implementation of peer-to-peer formats in which representatives of Latin American environment and transport ministries discuss climate protection strategies for increasing ambition in the transport sector (changing-transport.org/…).
- Production of a video contribution for the Chilean COP25 Presidency on the need to increase climate targets in the transport sector (www.youtube.com/…).
- Conducting a regional workshop on "Raising Ambition on Climate Change in Transport in the NDCs" in cooperation with the IKI project TraCS (www.international-climate-initiative.com/…) and the EU-funded project EUROCLIMA+ under the auspices of the Chilean COP Presidency. Participants were representatives from transport and environment ministries from 13 countries (www.changing-transport.org/…).
- As part of COP25, a "Transport Day" was held in the Chilean pavilion. The event brought together around 100 representatives from governments, international organisations and civil society (www.changing-transport.org/…).
- Web presence of all GIZ-IKI projects on climate and transport under the website www.changing-transport.org as well as social media (Twitter, YouTube and Facebook) and Changing Transport Newsletter.
- Organisation of a regional workshop on the topic "Strenghtening the Role of Transport in new Nationally Determined Contributions" in cooperation with the IKI-project TraCS (www.international-climate-initiative.com/…) and the EU-funded project EUROCLIMA+ under the auspices of the Chilean COP-presidency. Representatives of various Transport Ministries and Environmental Ministries from 13 countries participated in the workshop (www.changing-transport.org/…).
- As part of the COP25 presidency a "Transport Day" was conducted in the Chilean Pavillon. Around 100 representatives from governments, international organisations and civil society participated (www.changing-transport.org/…).
- Production of a video clip for the Chilean COP-presidency on the need to strenghten climate objectives in the transport sector (www.youtube.com/…).