Moving Colombian Low Carbon Development Strategy towards Action: Implementation Phase
As of: September 2021
In 2012, the Colombian government took a vital step towards developing a low-carbon economy by adopting a low-emission strategy. The current phase involves implementation in the individual sectors and regions. The project is supporting this phase by rolling out model approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in certain regions within the building, agriculture, energy and household sectors. The project simultaneously supports the development of policies aimed at improving the steering and communication of the transition to a low-carbon economy at the level of the local government. Support is also provided to build capacities in the public and private sector. Overall, the project aims to help Colombia turn around its current high-emission trend and prepare the country for the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
State of implementation/results
- The project has supported the process of updating the Colombian National Determinate Contribution (Colombian NDC) related to understanding how to address the right pathway to include territorial mitigation actions into mitigation analysis for the Colombian NDC update by 2020.
- A course and diploma program was launched in collaboration with the "Universidad EAN", targeting entrepreneurs and business people in the departments of Cundinamarca, Boyacá, Eje Cafetero, Cauca y Nariño. The courses which presented general concepts relating to:* --climate change
- measures implemented at the country level – development of a business action plan for climate change mitigation--*
- The project built a portfolio of mitigation projects with a regional focus. Five projects designed to demonstrate the viability of low greenhouse gas emissions development were supported in implementation. In addition, the project developed five technical policy tools with local authorities‘ paricipation to help implement national policy at the local level.
- The project has developed ten podcasts related to the link between climate change, sustainable development, and human quality live. They are hosted on Spotify under the name "La Rebaja”: open.spotify.com/…
- As part of a communication strategy on Instagram, five interactive campaigns were developed with well-known influencers on topics such as travel, carbon footprint, recycling, sustainable cooking and music. The goal was to become citizens aware of the opportunities and risks of climate change. www.instagram.com/…
- Five subnational workshops have been developed jointly with Colombian so-called Climate Change Regional Nodes (Centro Oriente Andino, Eje Cafetero, Caribe, Antioquia and Pacífico Sur) with over 250 stakeholders from public entities, private sector, communities, academia and NGOs, among others.