Moving Colombian Low Carbon Development Strategy towards Action: Implementation Phase
As of: April 2021
In 2012, the Colombian government took a vital step towards developing a low-carbon economy by adopting a low-emission strategy. The current phase involves implementation in the individual sectors and regions. The project is supporting this phase by rolling out model approaches to reducing greenhouse gas emissions in certain regions within the building, agriculture, energy and household sectors. The project simultaneously supports the development of policies aimed at improving the steering and communication of the transition to a low-carbon economy at the level of the local government. Support is also provided to build capacities in the public and private sector. Overall, the project aims to help Colombia turn around its current high-emission trend and prepare the country for the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
State of implementation/results
- The project has supported the process of updating the Colombian National Determinate Contribution (Colombian NDC) related to understanding how to address the right pathway to include territorial mitigation actions into mitigation analysis for the Colombian NDC update by 2020.
- As agreed with the "Universidad EAN", the project is offering a certificate course on mitigation climate change for the private sector in Cundinamarca, Boyacá, Eje Cafetero, Cauca y Nariño departments involving 400 students.
- The project staff participated in the climate change course "Territorios Empoderados", which was developed by an alliance between the Environmental and Sustainable Development Ministry, Attorney General Officer, Fondo Acción and Climate Reality Project involving 1.263 public authorities.
- The project has developed ten podcasts related to the link between climate change, sustainable development, and human quality live (e.g. Air quality, sustainable Cities, Mobility, no conventional energies, decarbonization Colombia's 2050 strategy, the link between health and climate change and innovation as a tool to bring solutions to mitigation climate change challenges). They are hosted on Spotify under the name "La Rebaja”: open.spotify.com/…
- The project has a communication strategy on Instagram that involves reaching a different kind of public and citizens to raise awareness about the daily life actions that everybody can take to mitigate climate change: www.instagram.com/…
- Five subnational workshops have been developed jointly with Colombian so-called Climate Change Regional Nodes (Centro Oriente Andino, Eje Cafetero, Caribe, Antioquia and Pacífico Sur) with over 250 stakeholders from public entities, private sector, communities, academia and NGOs, among others.