MRV in states and regions of developing and newly industrialized countries
As of: April 2020
Objective and activities
The project supports state and regional governments in Brazil (Pernambuco), India (Chhattisgarh, West Bengal), Mexico (Baja California, Jalisco and Yucatan) and South Africa (KwaZulu-Natal) to contribute to NDCs by overcoming MRV capacity gaps. The regions are at different stages in the MRV process, with variable levels of knowledge and completeness of existing inventories, and implementation of MRV systems for mitigation actions. The project will therefore provide regions with tailored technical assistance to establish sustainable and robust MRV systems. It will also identify further mitigation opportunities and support their implementation. In-country multi-governance policy and strategy dialogues between national, state and regional, and selected local governments will be organised to promote vertical integration of climate action. The Under2 Coalition network will be leveraged to disseminate lessons learned between states and regions globally.
State of implementation/results
- Baseline reports for the five project states in Mexico, Brazil and South Africa, highlighting their emissions profile, have been produced using data disclosed by the states through CDP’s 2018 States and Regions Questionnaire.
- Stocktaking workshops were delivered in all three states in Mexico (February/March 2019), in Pernambuco, Brazil (April 2019), and in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa (July 2019) to assess the status of each state’s GHG inventory and MRV system of mitigation actions. The two-day workshops were designed to level the technical knowledge and improve the capacity of different stakeholders involved in relevant climate change and transparency processes within their states, and to further identify their capacity building needs. So far, over 150 individuals have been reached through these initial capacity building workshops.
- Technical assistance roadmaps have been developed for each of these states over a period of 10-12 months, tailored to their specific capacity building needs. Remote technical assistance is underway, including a combination of theoretical training through webinars (covering topics such as an introduction to the IPCC 2006 guidelines on inventory development, GHG inventory methodologies for the AFOLU, Energy and Industrial sectors, and working through a GHG inventory compilation manual produced by the project), practical support and ensuring progress through biweekly calls and regular reviews and assessments.
- The first round of in-country technical assistance workshops was held in the four Brazilian and Mexican project states in August and September 2019, to progress the states’ work in compiling their respective GHG inventories, and in the case of Jalisco, Mexico, to build indicators for a MRV system of mitigation action.
- The baseline and stocktaking process for the two Indian states, Chhattisgarh and Telangana, will begin from October 2019.
- Six out of the seven project states took part in CDP’s 2019 States and Regions Questionnaire, which will help to assess their progress on this project.
- A multi-level governance dialogue on the MRV system in Brazil was held in Salvador, Bahia, during the Latin America and Caribbean Climate Week in August 2019.
- The Secretariat of Environment and Sustainability (SEMAS), State Government of Pernambuco, is co-organising the Brazilian Climate Change Conference in Recife in November 2019, where it plans to present its first state-level inventory, developed through this project over the last six months.
- The Under2 Coalition General Assembly will take place in December 2019, during COP25 in Santiago, Chile. The Climate Group, as Secretariat to the Coalition, will organise an interactive session following the General Assembly to launch the peer learning phase of the project in 2020 to the wider states and regions membership.
- For more information on the project: www.under2coalition.org/…