MRV system for mitigation actions in Indonesia
As of: December 2020
With the aim of fulfilling the reporting obligations of the Paris Agreement, Indonesia is establishing a national MRV system for its measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. The project supports the government in developing the system by helping national and sub-national stakeholders to integrate the existing PEP tool into the new solution. It also helps the ‘Secretariat of the National Action Plan on Mitigation’ to collect data and set up a data management system. The project strengthens the capacity building of national and sub-national partners regarding the reporting of mitigation measures, and also develops guidelines, regulations, training material and communication products, ensuring that the measures achieve a wide-ranging impact. The project is part of the IKI Corona Response Package. As part of the IKI Corona Response Package, the project advises the Indonesian government on sustainable economic incentives and green fiscal policies.
State of implementation/results
- As part of IKI's Corona Response Package, the project plans to send an economic advisor from the NDC partnership to advise BAPPENAS on green recovery measures.
- In 2020, the project will assist the Indonesian government in producing a publication containing information on the national system of mitigation measures and describing the GHG calculation methods to be used for AKSARA and the national registry system (SRN). It also describes a total of 52 methods for calculating GHG emission reductions that were used in AKSARA.
- A function to link AKSARA and SRN is fully developed. As soon as the function is activated, data can be automatically exchanged between the systems.
- To improve AKSARA, the project supports sector ministries in developing methods for calculating emissions reduction of mitigation measures. A total of 12 sectoral methodologies have been updated (4 for the energy sector, 2 for the transport sector, 4 for the agricultural sector and 2 for the maritime/coastal sector)
- The project has developed a tool to determine capacity needs and an action plan for application in the 32 provinces. Recommendations have been submitted to the National Low Carbon Development Initiative Secretariat to develop a training program for provincial governments.
- With the support of the project, the Ministry of Development Planning (Bappenas) officially launched AKSARA, a system for planning and monitoring low carbon development, at the end of 2019.-- AKSARA is an online platform for monitoring the national emission reduction target and the targets set in the National Medium Term Development Plan (RPJMN) 2020-2024. It is also intended to contribute to the existing planning, monitoring and reporting systems for climate protection and to provide reliable information for the reports on NDC (Nationally Determined Contribution) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The platform is accessible via the following link: pprk.bappenas.go.id/… AKSARA replaces the former PEP online application ('Review-Assessment-Reporting').
- A brochure with an overview of AKSARA and a description of its functions and users can be downloaded from pprk.bappenas.go.id/…
- In 2019, the project has developed a demo interface to facilitate the exchange of information between the three existing MRV systems (AKSARA, the national registry for recording mitigation and adaptation measures (SRN) and the climate budget labelling system SAKTI).