MRV system for mitigation actions in Indonesia
As of: September 2020
Objective and activities
With the aim of fulfilling the reporting obligations of the Paris Agreement , Indonesia is establishing a national MRV system (Measuring, Reporting, Verification) for its measures to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This will require the reorientation of several existing databases and the data collection systems. The project supports the government (above all the Ministry of National Development Planning, BAPPENAS) in developing the system by helping national and sub-national stakeholders to integrate the existing PEP tool into the new solution. It also helps the ‘Secretariat of the National Action Plan on Mitigation’ (RAN–GRK) to collect data and set up a data management system. The project strengthens the knowledge and skills of national and sub-national partners regarding the reporting of mitigation measures, and also develops guidelines, regulations, training material and communication products, ensuring that the measures achieve a wide-ranging impact. The project is part of the IKI Corona Response Package.
State of implementation/results
- As part of the Corona Response Package, it is planned that the project will second an economic advisor from the NDC partnership to advise BAPPENAS on Green Recovery measures.
- With the support of the project, the Ministry of Development Planning (Bappenas) officially launched the Low Carbon Development Planning and Monitoring System AKSARA at the end of 2019. The launch event was attended by 213 participants from various ministries, agencies and regional governments.
- AKSARA is an online platform for the monitoring of the national emission reduction target and the targets set in the National Medium Term Development Plan (RPJMN) 2020-2024. It is also intended to contribute to the existing planning, monitoring and reporting systems for climate protection and to provide reliable information for the reports on the NDC (Nationally Determined Contribution) and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The platform is accessible via the following link: pprk.bappenas.go.id/… AKSARA replaces the former PEP online application ('Review-Assessment-Reporting').
- A brochure with an overview of AKSARA and a description of its features can be downloaded from pprk.bappenas.go.id/…
- The project has developed a demo interface to facilitate the exchange of information between the three existing MRV systems (AKSARA, the national registry for recording mitigation and adaptation measures (SRN) and the climate budget labelling system SAKTI). The interface was presented to Bappenas, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and the Finance Minsitry in December 2019. The data exchange scheme was approved by the ministries. Currently, the programmers are working on its implementation.
- To improve AKSARA, the project supports sector ministries in improving methods for calculating emissions from abatement measures in the energy sector (with regard to renewable energies) and transport sector. The methods should be approved by the responsible ministries by May 2020 and AKSARA should be updated accordingly by July 2020.
- The project, together with the VICLIM (Vertically Integrated Climate Protection) project, plans to help Bappenas to collect information on the mitigation measures of all provincial governments. This information will be used to monitor the climate protection measures implemented by the sub-national governments. The process will also provide recommendations for action plans at provincial level on low-carbon development. To this end, a national workshop with participation of all 34 provinces and about 250 participants is planned. Due to the corona virus, the event has been postponed until further notice.