NDC Support Programme
As of: October 2021
The project helps countries to comply with their Paris Agreement commitments, to build institutional and technical resources and skills through technical and financial assistance for climate change mitigation, and to develop the global knowledge exchange and peer-to-peer learning for leadership and awareness raising. Policy and financing options for the implementation and mainstreaming of LEDS and mitigation activities are identified, and opportunities, costs, barriers, and risks involved in NDC solutions analysed. Countries are given specific advice on their Partnership Plans drawn up through the NDC Partnership and its Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP) and on the support needs identified therein, to generate impacts and learning, and the project responds directly to government requests. The project ensures that NDC implementation becomes the driving force for sustainable development, advances gender equality, the transition to carbon-free economies, and the achievement of the SDGs.
State of implementation/results
- At present, with IKI funding the Programme directly supports enhancement and/or implementation of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) in 37 countries, of which 18 have already submitted enhanced/updated NDCs Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Ethiopia (interim), Kenya, Lebanon, Marshall Islands (resubmission), Mongolia, Nepal, Panama, Peru, Rwanda, Thailand, Vanuatu, Viet Nam and Zambia (interim)). This work has included more ambitious targets underpinned by the development of financing strategies and implementation plans, drafting of climate legislation, strengthening of reporting and transparency systems, and sectoral analyses to identify and address barriers.
- Country Project Profiles can be assessed at www.ndcs.undp.org/…
- Climate Legislation drafted in: Chile (Climate Change Law); Morocco (Decree); Costa Rica (Presidential Decree).
- Climate Budget Tagging in: Chile, Kenya.
- Climate Change and Green Growth Budget Reporting in Viet Nam.
- National climate committees strengthened in: Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Mongolia.
- NDC mainstreaming in: Rwanda.
- NDC Roadmaps produced in: Ghana, Vanuatu (www.pacific.undp.org/…), Colombia, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia.
- Long-Term Strategy (LTS) developed in: Lebanon, Colombia, Costa Rica.
- Sectoral plans/assessments in: Colombia, Indonesia, Vanuatu (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- Territorial climate plan in: Cote d’Ivoire.
- Green jobs studied in: Nigeria.
- Measurement, Reporting and Verification (MRV) systems developed/enhanced in: Costa Rica (Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use (AFOLU)), Ecuador (energy), Chile, Colombia, Ghana, Mongolia, Nigeria, Philippines, Peru, Viet Nam.
- Integrated MRV (NDC, Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), finance) in: Vanuatu (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Uganda, Lebanon (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Trinidad and Tobago.
- Training conducted in: Chile, Kazakhstan, Uganda.
- NDC Actions in: Lao PDR (renewable energy site assessment and installation), Vanuatu (mini-grid feasibility study and installation), Bhutan and Uganda (micro grants) (undp-climate.exposure.co/…), Morocco (5 feasibility studies).
- NDC Investment Plan developed in Ghana (www.gh.undp.org/…), Kenya (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Trinidad and Tobago
- Sector Investment analyses in: Morocco, Chile, Thailand
- Cost of Climate Inaction in: Chile.
- Fund mechanisms supported in: Congo Basin (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Kenya, Indonesia (www.undp.org/…).
- Risk assessments carried out in: Lebanon, Nigeria, Peru.
- Carbon footprint platforms developed and strengthened in: Chile, Colombia, Lebanon, Peru, Viet Nam.
- Trainings delivered in: Ghana, Viet Nam, Lebanon, Morocco, Nigeria, Uganda (www.ug.undp.org/…).
- Business Case for Private Sector Engagement developed in Uganda (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- Private Sector Engagement and Coordination Framework developed in: Kenya (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- Zero Deforestation Agreements fostered in: Colombia.
- Business round tables organised in: Ecuador, Lao PDR, Peru, Nigeria (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Viet Nam (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- Investment potential assessments carried out: Cote d'Ivoire (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Ghana (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Kenya (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Philippines (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Tunisia (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Uganda (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- Gender Mainstreaming into the climate governance process underway in ten countries: Bhutan, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Ghana, Kenya, Lebanon, Philippines, Uganda, Zambia and, based on country demand and to some extent, in up to seven additional countries.
- Publications on Gender Responsive Indicators (www.ndcs.undp.org/…) and Gender Analysis and NDCs (www.ndcs.undp.org/…).
- In-depth Gender Analyses completed in: Bhutan, Chile, Cote d’Ivoire (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Ecuador, Ghana (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Guatemala, Kenya (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Lebanon, Trinidad and Tobago (www.ndcs.undp.org/…), Uganda.
- Gender-responsive governance in: Bhutan (climate policy), Chile (law and tourism adaptation plan), Ghana (energy policy), Philippines (NDC roadmaps).
- Training conducted in: Bhutan, Chile, Colombia, Kenya, Uganda.
- Hosted 22 Regional Technical Dialogues on NDCs with engagement of 2,200 participants from over 150 developing countries.
- Co-organised the NDC Global Conference 2019 (globalndcconference.org), bringing together 350 participants from over 80 countries.