NDC Action – facilitating implementation of climate-resilient and low-carbon development
As of: January 2022
Countries around the world strive to exploit the transformative potential of their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs). The NDC Action project offers to address existing obstacles by helping its ten partner countries to translate their NDCs into strategies and measures ready for financing and implementation. The project fosters accelerated climate-friendly investment in two sectors that each partner country prioritises for receiving project support. The project strengthens NDC implementation buy-in, capacity and governance by engaging key stakeholders, providing training and facilitating multi-stakeholder consultations. It supports the development of climate-friendly policies and programmes, green investment plans and draft proposals for climate funds, and provides science-based, policy-relevant information through the Emission Gap Reports. Partner countries will increasingly get access to practical knowledge products and share lessons learned.
State of implementation/results
- National project coordinators of the NDC Action project coordinate with ongoing support to green post- COVID-19 economic recovery responses, including with BMU / NDC Partnership- funded Economic Advisors and the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE).
- UNEP-CCAC contributed as a speaker in the NDC Partnership Annual Members Forum in Dec. 2020 to speak about UNEP’s work on NDC revision support .
- NDC Action Project contributed to the production of UNEP and UNEP DTU Partnership’s annual flagship publication “Emission Gap Report 2020” ( www.unep.org/…) in Dec, 2020, followed by virtual events (e.g. webinar)
- NDC Action Project co-published a report “Enhancing forest targets and measures in NDCs” in Nov. 2020 in collaboration with other organizations such as WWF, Climate Focus, and UN-REDD. English, French, and Spanish versions available. wwf.panda.org/…
- Following the launch of the "Pocket Guide to NDCs" in June 2020, UDP senior advisor and political partner in NDC Action held a webinar in Oct 2020 in partnership with ECBI, which explored national experiences with the process of formulating and revising their NDCs. Ghana was one of the countries that presented its NDC revision process.
- The “Pocket Guide to NDCs” was updated and published in June 2020. It can be downloaded under unepdtu.org/…).
- The project team acts as de-facto entry point of the NDC Partnership to UNEP and coordinates the contribution of six UNEP initiatives/entities to the Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP), facilitating the delivery of 69 support activities for NDC fast-track implementation and revision in 20 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Scoping missions have been carried out in seven out of ten partner countries, namely Colombia, Costa Rica, Ghana, Jordan, Mongolia, Uganda, and Viet Nam. This engagement with ministries, local financial institutions, development partners, research centres, and other stakeholders aims to provide an accurate assessment to determine in which areas NDC Action can best contribute.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated international travel restrictions, the remaining three scoping missions to Argentina, Bangladesh and Morocco have been halted until further notice.