Policy dialogue and knowledge management regarding low emission strategies
As of: January 2021
In the course of the global climate agreement, the MENA (Middle East and North Africa region) countries must transform their economies into sustainable and low-carbon systems. However, climate policy goals have so far been given little consideration in macro-economic and sector-specific planning – and many countries also prepared their NDCs without any detailed macro-economic analysis. The project supports the partner countries in identifying and implementing policy instruments to achieve their climate protection targets for sub-sectors. Specialist forums serve as learning and knowledge exchange platforms between the responsible authorities and business & science stakeholders. The project cooperates with national institutions to build up knowledge in the partner countries. Close cooperation with organisations such as the Arab League also promotes cross-border exchange between politics, business and civil society. The project processes regional learning experiences and makes them accessible for IKI projects worldwide.
State of implementation/results
- The project contributes to the concretization of long-term low emission and adaptation strategies as well as to the expansion of renewable energies and increase of energy efficiency in the MENA region.
- The project makes an important contribution to IKI knowledge management in the MENA region. It offers networking potential for BMU, BMZ and BMWi projects in the MENA region.
- In Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria, the economic impact assessment of long-term energy strategies is supported by scenario modelling, to assess the impact of the expansion of renewable energies and improved energy efficiency on other areas.
- A network of think tanks and universities in the MENA region is being established to exchange knowledge on climate-energy-economy modelling.
- In Iran, local partners are being supported in the implementation of sustainable water resource management in a river basin under climate change conditions.
- German experts from the environmental administration are sharing their experience with Iranian experts on emission reduction in industry through best available techniques (BAT). In Jordan, experts advised on the legal framework for the implementation of the commitments under the Paris Agreement. A corresponding climate protection regulation, which defines the roles of Jordanian institutions in the implementation, was adopted by the Jordanian government in April 2019.
- Together with the Jordanian Chamber of Industry, two energy efficiency networks in industry are being piloted.
- In Algeria, experts advised the Ministry of Energy and the electricity supplier on the integration of renewable energies into the electricity system and on technical grid connection rules. The new grid code was published in November 2019.
- The Energy Department of the Arab League (LAS) is supported in the implementation of the Pan Arab Sustainable Energy Strategy. Members of the LAS are advised in the preparation of National Action Plans for the expansion of RE and RE and long-term energy planning. With the support of the project, the Energy Department is, among other things, working on a common electricity market. In July 2020, the Arab energy ministers adopted two important respective agreements
- A transregional platform on large solar power plants has been organizing knowledge exchange on the application of solar technologies since 2015.
- In a Green Banking Training, more than 120 participants from the banking sector in Morocco, Jordan, Tunisia and Egypt were able to improve their knowledge on financing renewable energy and energy efficiency.
- Extensive studies on the role of coal in the energy mix of the MENA countries and on innovative instruments to promote energy efficiency in the region were prepared and will be discussed with decision-makers from the region in the coming months.
- Download available under: *
- Innovative energy efficiency instruments for the MENA region (Comprehensive report) www.giz.de/…
- Innovative energy efficiency instruments for the MENA region (Summary for Policy Makers) www.giz.de/…
- The role of coal the energy mix of MENA countries and alternative pathways www.giz.de/… *