Political economy of climate-friendly, low-carbon development paths. Country studies on driving forces and impediments
As of: April 2021
The project identified the driving forces and impediments that are significantly effecting ‘green’ transformation processes in business, politics and society. To this end, it analysed relevant political and economic decision-making processes. The project highlighted possible fields of action and measures in the areas of infrastructure, market regulation, innovation and finance. In a subsequent step, the project investigated to what extent changes in these areas are linked to a change in societal values and can contribute to a viable and sustainable political consensus. The project is integrated in the Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project (DDPP), with which the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) is conducting a long-term forecast of the CO2 emissions of twelve countries. SDSN offers an excellent platform for disseminating the lessons learned from the IKI project and for feeding these back into the international climate change negotiations.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed
- Through its analyses, the project contributed directly to the preparations for COP 21 and the UNFCCC climate change negotiations: the results of the Deep Decarbonization Pathways Project (DDPP) country reports were incorporated into the DDPP 2015 Synthesis Report, which was presented to the UN General Secretary and UNFCCC as a baseline study.
- The results of the country studies on South Africa and China provided a scientific basis for the political decision-making process in these countries towards preparing the Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs).
- DDPP South Africa country report on modelling deep decarbonization pathways: pathways to deep decarbonization in South Africa – in cooperation with the Energy Research Center University of Cape Town.
- DDPP China country report on modelling deep decarbonization pathways: pathways to deep decarbonization in China – in cooperation with the National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation (NCSC) in Beijing.
- Study on developing low-carbon economic structures in sub-Saharan African countries. Low-carbon development in sub-Saharan Africa. 20 cross-sector transitions – study carried out by the Overseas Development Institute (ODI) London.
- Study on the transformation of the energy system in Germany: Deep Decarbonization in Germany. A Macro-Analysis of Economic and Political Challenges of the ‘Energiewende’ (Energy Transition) – published in cooperation with the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin).
- Publication of the Synthesis Report: Deep Decarbonization – From Technological Pathways to Societal Transformation.