Programme for energy efficiency in buildings (PEEB)
As of: January 2022
The IEA estimates that the number of buildings worldwide will double by 2050. Buildings already account for around 30 percent of global final energy consumption; however, despite existing sources of financing, investors lack the necessary knowledge and the political framework conditions for climate-friendly construction. The PEEB is a demand-driven and needs-oriented consulting institution that combines the financial and technical knowledge of the German and French project partners. The programme supports the further development of energy efficiency policies in the building sector and the development of incentive systems to mobilise private investment. Specific projects are developed until they are ready for financing and participating stakeholders receive further training for their tasks during the various stages of the development process. The results are prepared and introduced as practical examples into the GABC and other networks. The project is part of the IKI Corona Response Package.
State of implementation/results
- Mobilisation of financing and green recovery:
- PEEB mobilises €650 million for large-scale energy-efficient building projects through its French implementing partner, the development bank AFD.
- PEEB supports partner countries in improving their energy efficiency policies, NDC targets and building investment conditions to ensure that such projects are replicated and scaled up and contribute to economic recovery (Green Recovery).
- The PEEB approach is to combine project financing with improvement of regulatory and technical frameworks.
- For instance: In Tunisia, in parallel with financing 2 energy-efficient hospitals (€ 158 million, calculated CO2 savings 6892t/a), improved standards and training measures are being implemented. As a result, the 10 hospitals still planned can also be implemented to a higher energy efficiency standard.
- Internationally, PEEB is working closely with GlobalABC, the NDC Partnership and other stakeholders to intensify climate action in the building sector. PEEB has been appointed to the GlobalABC Steering Committee. (globalabc.org)
- PEEB also strengthened collaborations with the private sector, including the establishment of "National Alliances for Buildings and Construction" in Morocco, Mexico and Tunisia. Through this cooperation projects of private developers can be improved.
- Trainings on financing and implementation of energy efficient buildings have so far reached about 500 professionals from the public and private sectors, including banks.
- PEEB disseminated publications on key building transformation topics (www.peeb.build/…), such as best practices guidance on successful building stimulation programmes (www.peeb.build/…) and non-monetary incentives for economic recovery (www.peeb.build/…), digital tools for energy efficiency, guidance on energy efficient building design, private sector business models, and the impact of EU sustainable finance initiatives on the global building transformation.
- PEEB advised the Ministry of Housing and the state housing company Al Omrane on the preparation of a national green housing programme and supports them in the detailed preparation phase of a project application for a housing NAMA (€20 million) to the NAMA Facility. (www.peeb.build/…)
- Through advice from PEEB, energy efficiency requirements were included in the hotel construction standard.
- As a result of PEEB's advice, a national hotel chain is building two new hotels in an energy-efficient way. A guide to energy efficiency in hotels shows: Hotels can save up to 30% energy, payback ≤ 3 years. If 10% of hotels in Mexico reduce energy consumption by 30%, this would save 288,000 t CO2eq/year. (www.peeb.build/…)
- PEEB advised the Ministry of Environment on a roadmap to develop energy efficiency regulations for the construction sector. (www.peeb.build/…)
- Through trainings by PEEB, the construction departments of the ministries are equipped for energy-efficient projects financed by loans from AFD and others.
- Through AFD, PEEB is financing the construction or rehabilitation of two hospitals. In order to expand hospital projects in the health sector in Tunisia (www.peeb.build/…), PEEB supported the national energy agency ANME in the development of a guide for energy-efficient hospitals and in training. (www.peeb.build/…)
- PEEB supported the Ministry of Construction in developing a NDC roadmap for the building sector and in designing an energy efficient housing programme (funding planned via AFD). This enabled the Ministry of Construction to submit a project application for a housing NAMA (EUR 17.3 million) to the NAMA Facility.