Programme for energy efficiency in buildings (PEEB)
As of: May 2021
The IEA estimates that the number of buildings worldwide will double by 2050. Buildings already account for around 30 percent of global final energy consumption; however, despite existing sources of financing, investors lack the necessary knowledge and the political framework conditions for climate-friendly construction. The PEEB is a demand-driven and needs-oriented consulting institution that combines the financial and technical knowledge of the German and French project partners. The programme supports the further development of energy efficiency policies in the building sector and the development of incentive systems to mobilise private investment. Specific projects are developed until they are ready for financing and participating stakeholders receive further training for their tasks during the various stages of the development process. The results are prepared and introduced as practical examples into the GABC and other networks. The project is part of the IKI Corona Response Package.
State of implementation/results
- Green Recovery:
- The project is developing approaches within GlobalABC to set up green stimu-lus programmes in the building sector and support economic recovery due to the effects of the Covid 19 pandemic.
- Financing of EUR 600 million for large scale energy-efficient building pro-jects by the AFD (Agence Française de Développement) is in preparation.-- Mobilisation of climate finance: project application for the NAMA Facility in Morocco for a financing mechanism to support energy efficient buildings and preparation of a project application for the NAMA Facility in Vietnam.
- Energy efficiency policies and NDCs, including an energy efficiency buildings directive in Senegal, improved directives in Morocco and Tunisia, NDC buildings roadmap in Vietnam.
- International mobilisation with GlobalABC, NDC Partnership, Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL), World Green Building Council (WGBC), UNFCCC Secretariat, UNEP Finance Initiative (UNEP FI) and International Finance Corporation (IFC).
- Cooperation with the private sector, including pro-ject developers and the establishment of national alliances for buildings and construction in Morocco, Mexico and Tunisia.
- Training on energy efficiency and financing of energy efficiency measures, study tour on support mechanisms with Vietnam.
- Knowledge products on energy-efficient buildings.
- PEEB supports the government in the submission of the project application for the NAMA Facility (EUR 20 million).
- PEEB supports the Moroccan Alliance for Buildings and Climate in the design and implementation of its activities.
- PEEB sup-ports the Mexican Alliance for Buildings and its involvement in international activities of GlobalABC.
- PEEB advised the Ministry of the Environment on energy efficiency requirements of the national norm for hotel construction and on its implementing strategy. A large national hotel chain was ad-vised on energy saving potentials and renewable energy for refurbishment and new buildings.
- PEEB advises the Ministry of Environment on the preparation of an energy efficiency directive for buildings.
- PEEB carried out training measures for the building departments of the Ministry of Health and Education, for which AFD is preparing large-volume financing for health and education facilities.
- PEEB and other actors supported the national energy agency ANME in the analysis of energy consumption in the building sector.
- PEEB advises ANME on compliance with the Tunisian Energy Efficiency Directive and on the development of a manual for energy efficient hospital construction complementary to AFD funding for hospitals.
- PEEB supports the Ministry of Construction in the development of an NDC roadmap for the building sector and in the design of a national programme for energy efficient housing with AFD funding.