Programme for energy efficiency in buildings (PEEB)
As of: August 2020
Objective and activities
The IEA estimates that the number of buildings worldwide will double by 2050. Buildings already account for around 30% of global final energy consumption; however, despite existing sources of financing, investors lack the necessary knowledge and the political framework conditions for climate-friendly construction. The PEEB is a demand-driven and needs-oriented consulting institution that combines the financial and technical knowledge of the German and French project partners. The programme supports the further development of energy efficiency policies in the building sector and the development of incentive systems to mobilise private investment. Specific projects are developed until they are ready for financing and participating stakeholders receive further training for their tasks during the various stages of the development process. The results are prepared and introduced as practical examples into the GABC and other networks. The project is part of the IKI Corona Response Package./
State of implementation/results
- The project can support the design of effective national Green Recovery programmes in the field of energy efficiency (for example concerning public buildings in particular). In this way, economic recovery related to the COVID-19 pandemic can be combined with the sustainable tapping of energy efficiency potentials.
- PEEB Operational Launch at COP23 in Bonn
- In December 2017 the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) became a member of the Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction (GABC).
- Information about the PEEB project are published on the project website (see link).
- In October 2018 the Moroccan Government, teh GABC and PEEB hosted a regional exchange about energy efficiency in buildings in the MENA region with more than 100 participants from 10 countries.
- In June 2018 the Minstry of Energy (SENER) and the National Housing Commission (CONAVI) established a Mexican Alliance for Buildings and Construction (GABC MX).
- A collaboration betweenPEEB and the National Energy Agency (ANME) in the analysis of development in the building sector started, together with United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (UNESCWA) and KfW.
- PEEB hosted an exchange with representatives from five different Vietnamese ministries as part of a one-week study visit to Germany.