Protected areas and other area-based conservation measures at the level of local governments
As of: September 2021
Communal protected areas can make a significant contribution to biodiversity and climate protection in South America. However, they have rarely been institutionalised as protected area categories and their potential has so far received little attention. The project aims to increase the number of local governments in the partner countries that sustainably manage communal protected areas and other area-based protection measures and is developing appropriate knowledge and resources in the local governments to this end. It also strengthens multiplier structures that support local governments with information and technical services. On an intergovernmental level, the project enables the sharing of experiences gained with legal instruments and framework conditions among the participating countries – and it also makes the project experiences known on an international scale. Virtual forms of learning and communication are to be linked to existing platforms and networks, enabling the project to reach countries that are not directly involved.
State of implementation/results
- ICLEI network of local governments with an interest in local protected areas and other effective area-based conservation has conducted three webinars since its inception in June 2021, on Cooperation Methods (www.youtube.com/…), Biosphere Reserves (www.youtube.com/…), and Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Protected Area Management (www.youtube.com/…).
- IUCN conducted two webinars on Local Protected Area Management case studies in the context of the well-known best practice platform PANORAMA (www.youtube.com/… and www.youtube.com/…).
- In Brazil, a total of 214 participants successfully completed the online course on protected area management and monitoring by December 2020.
- In Ecuador, technical guidelines on participatory management of protected areas have been developed under the National Environmental Law and its National System of Protected Areas. A new video (www.youtube.com/…) explains the project's approach and results so far in the country.
- In Colombia, the project supported the publication of "Recommendations for incorporating protected areas and economic instruments into local spatial planning" (repository.humboldt.org.co/…).
- By December 2020, 1,986 participants successfully completed the online course on tools for community biodiversity conservation.
- In Peru, local conservation initiatives were identified and fed into a new database on behalf of the Ministry of Environment (MINAM), an important contribution to national reporting to the CDB (app.minam.gob.pe/…). The "Manual on Modalities for Biodiversity Conservation Outside Protected Areas" was published (www.gob.pe/…).
- Examples of successful management of local protected areas were documented in the four countries and published by ICLEI (sams.iclei.org/…
- Experiences of environmental managers at the municipal level are presented in the web series "Voces Locales" (www.youtube.com/… new episode from Colombia and Ecuador 06/2020).
- The Declaration of local governments at the third Congress of Protected Areas of Latin America and the Caribbean (CAPLAC) in Lima emphasises the increased importance of local governments for biodiversity conservation (www.international-climate-initiati-ve.com/…).