As of: January 2022
To keep global warming below 1.5°C, it is crucial to shift away from an economy dependent on fossil fuels and feedstocks. The new Power-to-X approach enables the production of carbon-neutral fuels and chemicals with renewable electricity. This will allow economic sectors such as aviation, shipping, chemicals, steel, fertiliser and cement industries to operate without fossil energy carriers in the future. The International PtX Hub Berlin drives the production and application of PtX in developing countries and emerging economies by providing a platform for international knowledge exchange. The PtX Hub developed sustainability recommendations, which serve as guidelines for sustainable PtX production. By publishing knowledge products and organising training courses, the Hub builds capacities in PtX. The PtX Hub also advises political decision-makers on developing regulations for emerging PtX markets.
State of implementation/results
- The PtX Hub has brought comprehensive sustainability dimensions to the discussion on the international regulatory framework for production, storage, transport, trade, promotion and use of hydrogen and PtX derived products at high-level international events. Among them are the following:
- Green Hydrogen Policies in the MENA Region" on 12.05.2021 with the target group of senior hydrogen experts from MENA countries.
- "Hydrogen Dialogue 2021: Sustainability Dimensions of PtX Value Chains - Scenarios, Strategies, Standards" on 23.05.2021 with international representatives from numerous emerging and developing countries.
- "Global Alliance Powerfuels - Annual Conference: Sustainability dimensions of global PtX value chains - from concerns to certification" on 23.06.2021 with experts in the field of PtX. 21 with experts on international trade and certification of synthetic fuels.
- ICAO Stocktaking Seminar on 06.06.2021 on sustainability criteria for synthetic fuels in aviation
- The PtX Hub organised the "Hydrogen Hour" as part of the "Transport and Climate Change Week 2021", where political decision-makers from the transport sector were introduced to the topics of Power-to-X, sustainability dimensions and potentials for developing and emerging countries.
- The project developed a "Founders Hydrogen and Power-to-X" basic training, which has already been conducted in several countries, including Germany, with about 130 decision-makers.
- In addition, training on power-to-liquid fuels in aviation was conducted with participants from experts at BMU, UBA, PtX Lab and GIZ.