Raw materials and climate change: promotion of low-carbon, environmentally sustainable and resource-efficient methods in the production of raw materials
As of: February 2021
The economies of many developing and emerging countries are dependent on the export of raw materials. Raw material extraction is often associated with extensive environmental pollution, high consumption of fossil fuels and major greenhouse gas emissions. The project is modelling effective strategies and standards for raw material extraction in partner countries that is sustainable and environmentally friendly. While helping partner countries mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, the project is also improving energy and resource efficiency, and introducing socio-environmentally responsible company management structures. Apart from including stakeholders from business and civil society, the project is also cooperating with selected companies on model solution strategies. Other work includes consulting services for the mining sector and (re-)training for local specialists. The project results form part of the global debate on raw material extraction that is more sustainable for the climate, environment and society.
State of implementation/results
- Introduction of an energy efficiency network in the mining sector and contest ideas for projects in favor of energy efficiency and emission reduction. Selected projects will receive technical support.
- In summer 2020, 10 proposals were submitted in the mining sector. Among them, 3 energy efficiency projects from Codelco, Antofagasta Minerals and Minero San Pedro will be supported through consultancy and are expected to reduce more than 1,000 tCO2 per year through their implementation.
- Regular events for mining professionals on energy and climate issues, including:
- Energy efficiency through machine intelligence in stone mills in copper mining
- Emission reductions in copper mining
- Energy management in mining
- Energy efficiency and environmental risks in mining
- Selection of the commodity sectors of iron nickel and construction materials with the relevant ministries and discussion with interested companies in those sectors.
- Elaboration of a study on Low Carbon Development Strategy in the mining sector in Colombia with participation of public and private stakeholders from the mining sectors of iron-nickel and construction materials.
- Support to the design of the Colombian Long-Term Strategy 2050 of the mining sector.