Setting up a Regional Energy Agency in Ukraine
As of: September 2021
The project aimed to explore and realise energy saving and energy efficiency potentials on a communal (mainly buildings) level by building up energy agencies and collaterally advising these. Within the frame of the project, one energy agency was institutionally established in Odessa, a range of services was developed and staff qualified. Experiences were consolidated into best practices and disseminated in Ukraine. Furthermore, a range of consulting services were created for, inter alia, the management of communal energy, which reveal energy saving options and related operating cost reductions in a community. Thereby, incentives were created for other cities and communities to adopt successful approaches. On the German side the Berlin Energy Agency was involved, and, on the Ukrainian side, regional administrations (Oblast governments), city administrations and energy providers became partners.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- The Energy Agency of Odessa “APRO” („Агентство програм розвитку Одеси“, “Odessa Development Programme Agency”), earlier: OMEA) was created in April 2015. With the support of the project, APRO extended its service portfolio and since then offers energy audits in line with international standards.
- An ESCO handbook for entrepreneurs was developed and published.
- Training and conferences on energy efficiency (EE) were carried out, e.g. six regional pieces of training on the development and implementation of EE projects for tenants and owners corporations (OSBB) of multi-family houses.
- In December 2016 the city council of Odessa approved the city’s Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP), which was prepared by APRO under the Covenant of Mayors’ Initiative.
- The awareness-raising initiative “School of Energy” was supported from 02/2016 until 10/2016 in 25 schools with more than 500 pupils in Ukraine. Since 2016 the initiative continued under the name “School of Energy 2.0”.
- The project supported the State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE) in performing its awareness-raising tasks of energy consumers, e.g. with the setup of a call-centre to improve the service of the EE incentive programme ‘warm loans’.
- The campaign „I am a European! I support sustainable energy development!” was supported at the EU Sustainable Energy Week in Odessa 2017.