Setting up a Regional Energy Agency in Ukraine
As of: August 2020
Objective and activities
The project aimed to explore and realise energy saving and energy efficiency potentials on a communal (mainly buildings) level by building up energy agencies and collaterally advising these. Within the frame of the project, one energy agency was institutionally established in Odessa, a range of services was developed and staff qualified. Experiences were consolidated into best practices and disseminated in Ukraine. Furthermore, a range of consulting services were created for, inter alia, the management of communal energy, which reveal energy saving options and related operating cost reductions in a community. Thereby, incentives were created for other cities and communities to adopt successful approaches. On the German side the Berlin Energy Agency was involved, and, on the Ukrainian side, regional administrations (Oblast governments), city administrations and energy providers became partners.
State of implementation/results
- Energy Agency of Odessa (OMEA) was created in April 2015. With support of the project, OMEA extended its service portfolio and since then offers energy audits according to international standards.
- Capacity building trip organised for national and regional government members.
- Development and publication of an ESCo handbook for entrepreneurs.
- Trainings and conferences on energy efficiency (EE) carried out, e.g. six regional trainings on the ‘development and implementation of EE projects for tenants and owners’ representatives (OSBB) of multi-family houses in various Ukrainian regions.
- In December 2016 the city council of Odessa approved the city’s Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP) which was prepared by OMEA under the Covenant of Mayors’ initiative.
- Supported the awareness raising initiative “School of Energy” from 02/2016 until 10/2016 in 25 schools and more than 500 pupils in Ukraine. Since 2016 the project was continued under “School of Energy 2.0”.
- The project supported the State Agency on Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine (SAEE) in performing its awareness raising tasks of energy consumers, e.g. in the setup of a call-center for a better implementation of the EE incentive programme ‘warm loans’ .
- The investment platform UA MAP for energy efficiency and renewable energy went online in autumn 2016 and has been visited frequently ever since.
- Supported the campaign „I am a European! I support sustainable energy development!” at the EU Sustainable Energy Week in Odessa 2017.
- Inauguration of a "Center for energy efficient technologies" on Odessa's Polytechnical University Campus in 2017.