Sino-German cooperation on low carbon transport
As of: January 2021
The People’s Republic of China emits the greatest volume of greenhouse gases in the world – and around 10% of all the energy-related CO2 emissions in the country are caused by the transport sector. The project promotes the German-Chinese policy dialogue on long-term climate change mitigation strategies in the transport sector, focusing on the potential of digitalisation, innovative technologies and integrated mobility concepts. Chinese decision-makers and relevant stakeholders are given support in their development of effective strategies for a climate-friendly transport sector. The project also advises the partners, particularly in the priority areas of urban and freight transport. The dialogue-oriented approach ensures coordination with other international stakeholders and donors, and the development of guidelines and the implementation of training courses also guarantees the long-term multiplier effect of the project measures.
State of implementation/results
- Close cooperation with the Transport Management Department within the Chinese Ministry of Transport (MoT)
- Project activities in urban public and freight transport focus on three topics: policies, technologies, monitoring & evaluation. They form the basis for a policy dialogue between Chinese and German partners.
- Publication of a Chinese version of the guidelines "On-street parking management"
- Study tour of MoT to Berlin and Bremen in October 2016 and of the Research Institute of Highway (RIOH) to Berlin in November 2018.
- Organisation of different workshops with topics such as Green Express Delivery (together with the Beijing Municipal Commission of Transport (BMCT) and the Beijing Transportation Institute (BTI) (12.03., 15.05. and 26.09.2018 in Beijing); quantification of emissions in road traffic in Shenzhen (9.-11.04.2018); traffic alliances (11.04.2018 in Foshan, Guangdong Province); promotion of bicycle traffic in CHN; traffic relocation from street to rail (13.10.2018 in Bejing); German-Chinese Intermodal Transport Forums (30.10.2018 in Bejing); Annual Green Freight Transport Conference (01.12.2018); development of bycicle infrastructure (12.12.2018 in Beijing).
- Together with the Smart Freight Center China (NGO), a workshop on Logistics Emission Calculation Tools and Practice was held in Beijing on 27 March 2019.
- Together with the local city government, a workshop on Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP) was organised on 25.04.2019 in Yinchuan (Ningxia Province).
- A delegation of the Highway Bureau of the MoT and the China Highway Transportation Society (CHTS) was supported at the Electric Road Systems Conference from 07.05.2019 to 08.05.2019 in Frankfurt am Main.
- A workshop on the International Transportation Standardization Study in Road Transport Key Areas was held on 17.06.2019 together with the China Academy of Transportation Sciences (CATS) in Beijing.
- With the Smart Freight Center China (NGO) a seminar on Multimodal logistics development in China and Europe and adoption of IT transport technology was realized on 20.06.2019 in Beijing.
- A delegation trip by CATS and the Qingdao Port Group was prepared and accompanied on the topics of logistics management and operational optimisation in the field of port logistics as well as on the role of ports in climate-friendly intermodal transport chains from 26 to 29 August 2019 to the Port of Hamburg and the Port of Wilhelmshaven.
- A training on HBEFA China "Handbook Emission Factors for Road Transport" took place on 25.09.2019 in cooperation with the Shenzhen Urban Transport Planning Center (SUTPC) and the Swiss consulting company Infras in Shenzhen.