Sino-German environmental partnership
As of: June 2021
Recent rapid economic growth in China poses large challenges especially to the protection of environment and resources and sustainable development. Despite numerous efforts and progresses in the conception and implementation of modern environmental legislation there is still a major need for action. For this purpose, the project functionally and technically supported the strategic Sino-German environmental dialogue, advised the Chinese Ministry for the Environment and the international environmental advisory committee in matters of environmental policy and sustainable economic development. Furthermore, it established a platform for the exchange of environment and resource efficiency technologies and offered training activities to senior staff in environmental administration offices at the central and provincial level.
State of implementation/results
- Project completed.
- The project continuously supported the German-Chinese environmental dialogue with the preparation and follow-up of high-level bilateral meetings, technical exchange formats, expert information trips, capacity-building measures and targeted personnel exchange (training on the job).
- German minister Hendricks attended the 2016 China Council for International Cooperation on Environment and Development (CCICED) Annual General Meeting in her capacity as Co-Chair, which marked the 25th anniversary of the Council. During talks in December 2016, Hendricks and Chinese Minister of the Environment Chen Jining agreed among others on deeper cooperation on the topic of soil protection. German experiences on the rule of law and South-South cooperation with a focus on ecological aspects were included in the recommendations to the State Council. Germany expressed its interest in continued active involved in the following phase of the Council (2017-2021).
- The successful identification of several Common Core Criteria of the Blue Angel and the Chinese Ecolabel during an expert workshop in 2017 represented an important milestone concerning a future mutual recognition of both ecolabels.
- The topics of green urbanisation and green energies were the focal points of Phase VI of the CCICED. The CCICED also deepened the topic of “green urbanisation” through an international workshop in Langfang, Hebei Province, from 31 August to 1 September 2017.
- In October 2017, the project brought together senior officials responsible for the reform process of the environmental governance system from the core institutions of the Chinese government with discussion partners in Germany and France to provide impulses for upcoming reforms.